Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera Dilemma

1. Default Camera Dilemma

Hi. I'm a novice to the video industry. I have some experience in camera work. I am going to buy my start up kit very shortly and have the finance to do this.
    I want to video weddings, parties etc.
    I had considered buying a new Sony Z1. I have used this before. I think it suits my needs.
    However, a friend mentioned that camera operators who used the Z1 were moving over to the EX1.
    My question is, for the area I'm moving into does the Z1 suffice or should I think of buying the Ex1?

Thanks
    Paul

Blog Entries

The Z1 will suffice, but the ex1 is a far more capable camera in my view.

You want to charge people to do weddind vids?? Not for a year or two I hope - the industry is full of chancers who are ripping people off with rubbish product. Dont become one!

Dont forget - tripod - 400 (or two)
    Second cam for lock off shots.
    Decent gun mic - 600
    Radio mics - 400

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    You want to charge people to do weddind vids?? Not for a year or two I hope
    But if you do it for free or cheap you'll also be criticised here! (Bear in mind the crowd who post in this section are mostly Pros and, quite reasonably, they hate amateurs getting involved and soiling the reputations of all videographers)

Concensus seems to be get yourself involved with an existing wedding pro as a second cameraman/assistant and really learn the ropes before offering your services. Depends really what your "some camera work experience" includes.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Not quite...

What gets up our noses are those who think that wedding videography is an easy way to make quick money. Also we get annoyed at those who think that the "punter" is happy with mediocre quality as long as the price is cheap. All the pro-videographers who have survived a year or longer will tell you that the price isn't all that important, quality is.

Anyone who wants to deliver a good product at a sensible price is welcome here.

Someone who's debating the Z1 verses the EX! sounds like a videographer who wants to deliver a quality product.

5. Default

Thanks for your input.
    I have experience as a short film director. I have also completed a short ( not very good) digital and lighting camera course.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mc View Post
    ...I have also completed a short ( not very good) digital and lighting camera course.
    Care to expand on that? If there is a course out there that doesn't live up to expectations, I think visitors would like to know what to avoid and why.

7. Default

I live in Dublin. I have attended two courses in filmbase.
    The second was a digital camera and lighting course run over 6 wednesday evenings and one weekend, which I attended last year.
    The main course tutor has some good credentials but to say he lacked enthusiasm is being very kind.
    The course turned into a series of meandering conversations, apathetic moans and the odd snide remark, with no real plan.

The last course I'll attend there for a while.

Blog Entries

Hey Paul - forgive my pompous posturing above - as you can see some of us have ' issues ' and no tissues - lols.

Blog Entries

...to say he lacked enthusiasm is being very kind.
    The course turned into a series of meandering conversations, apathetic moans and the odd snide remark, with no real plan.

I can't understand this. There is a market for videography education and there is a group of cameramen who travel all over the world, paid for by lighting manufacturers, holding seminars. Yup, I'm one of them and the money's not bad and you're treated really well. It doesn't take a lot of effort to prepare good talks, keep the participants interested and dish out decent information. It also makes a nice break from filming, it sounds like your instructor is a teacher who makes videos rather than a cameraman who teaches.

These bad courses should be named and shamed. Those nice people at Videoforums.co.uk were going to arrange a proper, one week, videomaking course but, after a bit of research, we found that it would be difficult to compete on price with poor quality - moneymaking courses which offer little value for money.

Just my "moan for the day".
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 10-31-2008 at 12:48 PM.

Blog Entries

...The last course I'll attend there for a while.
    Well, I'm not surprised. Even allowing for (and I don't know why anyone would) the fact Filmbase are a 'not for profit' organisation, it's unforgiveable to charge that sort of money for no discernable gain to the students.

Tell me, did you approach them for a refund of any kind or raise concerns about the standard of tuition?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast