Thread: ???, camera, action !!

1. Default ???, camera, action !!

Right; well, I've had to concede I can't afford (at present) to fork out for a set of red head or Arri lights and I'm not too sure about getting some imported from South Korea or China at EBay.

What's the best advice for an alternative, warm light for a)lighting a room and b) lighting a particular subject outdoors on a dull day.

I know cheap DIY or builders lights have been mentioned on Video Forum before but do these really work and if so, how do you control the light?

Please shed some 'light' on my query (sorry)

Goldfinger (Matt)

Blog Entries

Builders lights work but they are very very hot and ' blunt' - impossiable to ' paint with light ' - but if all you need is light they do the job.

Also no good for paid work - would look very unpro.

Blog Entries

Remember when you asked a similar question before? We used the artist/painter analogy. In this case you're asking "I want to paint a landscape, can I use a 3" decorators brush from B&Q?"

The answers are identical, "yes, you can use stuff from a builder's merchant but it will be more difficult, look nowhere near as good and, very quickly, you'll stop using it and it becomes wasted money".

4. Default

Should have known my query wouldn't have got passed your investigative mind !! Was looking for some budgetary inspiration but I agree with what you're saying and guess I'm going to have to look at the more expensive option!

If only there were a middle road ..... ???

Blog Entries

If only there were a middle road... ebay! Or BB List

I hear what you're saying and I understand that you want an answer along the lines of "You can buy a table lamp for 20 from Ikea and it will do the job." Unfortunately there is no such answer, you get what you pay for and the garages of videographers are full of cobweb-covered lights bought optimistically with the hope that they would do the job and now getting rusty through lack of use. I'm not being awkward or snobby, just telling you how it is and trying to save you money in the long run.

Edit: To expand.... Have a look at a buider's light from Homebase, switch it on and have a look at the shadows it makes. You'll see that because of the lamp and the reflector, it gives shadows with multiple edges. This looks tacky on screen. In the same way it's spectrum will have wierd spikes and dips and some colours will look "wrong". It won't have barn doors and the light will spread out al over the place, also without a clean edge or shadows.

I have used single fluorescent tubes from B&Q on set and replaced household bulbs with photo lamps but only for specific occasions or shots, not as a general lighting kit. If you're determined to go down the cheap and dirty route then go to car boot sales and flea markets and buy second-hand super8 film lights rather than builders lamps.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 10-29-2008 at 02:54 PM.

6. Default

Thanks for that Guru - you're right of course, but Ebay just seems to be full of what you said were untrustworthy Far Eastern imports so don't want to go that way - but I'm impatient you see !

Blog Entries

I only use my site lights when I really have to, prefering to use available light. They are not nice to use at all and I usually burn myself or melt the crapet or the cat or something when i do use them.