Thread: Sony HDR-SR11 Mic Suggestions

Default Sony HDR-SR11 Mic Suggestions

Hello,
    I have recently began looking into purchasing an external mic for my Sony HDR-SR11. The camera uses a miniplug, although I have found some adapters for XLR. I really have no preference as to the mic being on-camera or on a boom pole, but would prefer if it could be adapted for both uses if needed. I am looking to spend a maximum of $250 (200 Euros) on the mic, although I may be willing to spend slightly more. Currently I have a wall in my garage that I am using for blue screen work. I am looking to record primarily clear voices and eliminate background noise. The garage has quite a bit of echo, which is especially noticeable with the built-in microphone. I also film short movies inside my house where the echo is noticably less. Therefore in both locations my goal is to pick up good, clear voices. Also if possible it would be nice to be able to use the mic for some outdoor shots. However, I realize this may be asking too much from one microphone.

Also, come someone please explain what phantom power is in simple terms, and if it has any effect on my decision. I have come across this term and am not familiar with it. All I know is that under the mini-plug input on the camera it says (PLUG IN POWER).

So my question to you all is...
    In this situation what microphone in this price range would you buy?

Thanks
    Hawkeye

PS. Please let me know if you need me to provide any additional information.

Blog Entries

Phantom or p power means the camera powers the mic at 48v - pro gear only.

I guess plug in power is something similar... not sure really...

As for reccomendations, look at the mke300 from sennheiser. Another people often use is the Rode videomic at 70 or 80 quid. NO is all I can say - I have one of these and it is a piece of crap ( well that is a bit harsh, it's audio perf is better than a cam mic but the build quality is rubbish.

Blog Entries

Phantom power is required by most professional units. A simplified way of describing it is... It works on a three pin system where one pin is ground (earth) and the other two pins have a form of 24v AC power in which one is out of phase with the other. This means that if you plug a non-phantom microphone into the socket, the two phases cancel each other out and no damage is done to the microphone. A phantom-powered mic, on the other hand, can use the power. It's called phantom because it's there, but it's not, if you see what I mean.

Plug-in power is a low voltage, low amp, dc power (usually about 6v) which will power some smaller tie-clip microphones but not anything substantial.

You can buy stand-alone phantom power supplies, which work from 9v batteries for about 25.

I would suggest buying something decent like an Audio Technica at897. A directional microphone which is designed for video applications, it can be used on a boom or on the camera and can be powered by phantom or a 1.5v AA battery. Retails at just over 220 but much better and more flexible than the Rodes or the Sennheiser 300.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...4dc/index.html

I have an SR-12 and I am looking for a decent mic as well. More general purpose. I have recently been trying to get my Grandparents (and eventually moving down through the family) to talk about life, growing up, events that happened during their life time etc. I spent a good 2.5-3 hours with my grandparents this past weekend. I am a little concerned about the audio of my grandfather (I will have another post specifically about cleaning it up and boosting him a little bit).

I was thinking of getting something that I could put close to him to grab him better and then let it pick up everybody else. The on-cam mic did really well for everybody except grandpa, who is pretty soft spoken.

Amazon has a few options that look like they would do the trick, or at least help. It is really important to my Dad and I to get this stuff recorded as best as possible.

Sony ECMHW1 Bluetooth Wireless

I haven't found any others that say specifically that they will work for the SR-12. I could also use the 1/8" / 3.5mm mic plug as well. I was looking for something that would be fairly simple to use.
    Sony HDR-SR12 (250 GB of HD goodness)

I did purchase the mic above. I haven't used it yet, but I am hoping to this weekend at the grandparents house. I will try to remember to report back how things work out.
    Sony HDR-SR12 (250 GB of HD goodness)