Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bristol Zombie Walk.

Blog Entries

Default Bristol Zombie Walk.

What fun!

This is a ' kino eye ' edit of the event intended to put you there, the polar opposite of how i usually edit such things.

So - no music, all sound comtemporaneous with the action, nearly every shot is in time correct order with clever dick editing kept to a minimum. I left in bits of random camera movement deliberately and kept processing to a minimum - contrast up a tiny bit and slight sharpening only.

I am doing a very upbeat edit too.

I wonder is the ' dull ' version worth 6 mins of your life?

YouTube - Bristol zombie walk '08

Looking forward to seeing the clever dick version. It'll be interesting to see how you're going to polish footage which is unremarkable in execution, if not subject.

Is this a charity event or something? I'm assuming students, and it's an annual thing? Looks like a gas!

Blog Entries

It's a flash mob sort of thing via facebook. Been going 3 years I think - practically a tradition, hopefully.

Blog Entries

oh yea - this weeks masochistic cock up wasnt a dirty lens - it was taking wrong nearly dead battery and forgetting to tape the easily knocked switch that turns on auto exposure - it's all the running about at these events.

Blog Entries

I can see what you've tried to do Mark and you've done it really well. "Kino-eye" isn't my type of videomaking but this one works for me. Do you get Euronews? They have a "No Comment" section which is along those lines, sometimes it's brilliant, sometimes not so good.

My only criticism is on the camerawork. You tend to start off at the long end of the zoom and open up to a wide shot. You should try doing it the other way around (much more difficult but more affective). But then that's just me being the Craig Revel-Horwood of Videoforums.

Nice footage, simply edited. This sort of thing looks easier than it is, until you try it!

PS: I didn't realise that the Tory party had their conference in Bristol this year.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 10-27-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Blog Entries

Ta - long to wide - hmmm - i do dont I. Noted. Funny you should say - many of the fixed shots were the start or end of zooms - lol.

Taking the wrong bettery meant i was more hassled than ideal -it was nearly flat so when scoping for shots I had to be quck and careful and turn on the camera and shoot and then turn off - not ideal.

And in case anyone missed it from the other thread - when capturing the vdoe I had my first ever tape break, which I fixed with sticky tape - it's the zombie curse I tell ya! !

Some shots are shakier than I would prefer as I am unfit and there was lots of running about on the day.

I waas hoping to cover it with rhianna on the mic - was aiming to do a spoof local news spot on the walk - but sh had to work.
    Last edited by Mark W; 10-27-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Default kino what

Had to do a quick google to work out what kino eye is..

A few things worry me here, there are heaps of zombies, and it looks like some are hardcore, I assume its a Brittish thing.

Is kino eye edit a way of saying "raw" ?
    I tend to see much news feeds on the net now is "raw" video, let the viewer to the mental edits.

Good to see you did a contrast tweak, I believe all youtube video needs a good contrast adjustment.

Let me guess, when these zombies finally meet their maker they dress as the living.

Been a good mxed bag of videos this month.....nice.

The Mad Bomber.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstock View Post
    Been a good mxed bag of videos this month.....nice.
    Don't forget to vote for last month's video of the month: http://www.videoforums.co.uk/video-m...er-2008-a.html

Blog Entries

Kino-eye: I assumed it came from some Russian film-maker way back in the early days of cinema and for me it means using the camera to record what your eye sees and then pasting the shots to give a voyeuristic impression. No smooth editing, no commentary and no effects.

Edit: Oh I am so impressed with myself! A quick Google shows that it comes from Dziga Vertov whose name I have heard (and subsequently forgotten) and who is famous for the film "Man with a camera" which is brilliant, especially when viewed late at night after a join... er glass of wine.
    I shall pat myself on the back and go around looking smug for the rest of the day.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 10-27-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Blog Entries

A kino eye edit is little more than me being pompus - I dont think it is a recognised term. As you have read maybe one of the architects of the documentary form, Dziggyyyy Vertov, used the term to describe how he aimed to capture realilty with his camera. He even went so far as to hide his large h cranked cam, and himself, in prmas, post boxes and so on.

Sort of similar to the 'real cinema ' movement in the US ( I think), aiming to 'see' without changing what you film. Naive I think. Vertov recognised this and would often remind the audience he was there with his camera by shooting into glass, or filming himself setting up. Oh I think I am talking bollox. Lols.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast