Thread: cinematography degree

1. Arrow cinematography degree

hi,
    i'm looking for cinematography training videos that will cover all the material that Universities and Colleges are covering for a degree.
    i know about all the videos that train you to use premiere or after effects... they are nice but they only teach you the program & menus... not the profession itself.
    so... anyone know for videos that covers all that?
    thanks

Blog Entries

Learning cinemaphotograpy is like learning to paint - but much harder.

A training video can teach you a few do's and dont's just an artist may learn about perspective but as with all arts you need an obessesive devotion to get good. Watch films and deconstruct them, the best training dvd I know of you already own lots of - directors commentries, they rule.

Lots of great books out there too.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Learning cinemaphotograpy is like learning to paint - but much harder.

A training video can teach you a few do's and dont's just an artist may learn about perspective but as with all arts you need an obessesive devotion to get good. Watch films and deconstruct them, the best training dvd I know of you already own lots of - directors commentries, they rule.

Lots of great books out there too.
    there are books & there are training videos...
    videos are not less good... you know it's like being in the classroom, but with the comfort of the home.
    is you know some i'll be happy to hear about them

Quote Originally Posted by dr jekyll and MASTER hyde View Post
    there are books & there are training videos...
    videos are not less good... you know it's like being in the classroom, but with the comfort of the home.
    is you know some i'll be happy to hear about them
    Here is a very good one: Hollywood Camera Work - Film School, Film Directing, Filmmaking, Cinematography

Blog Entries

The knowledge gained in studying for a cinematography degree or diploma is only half the benefit. Where you gain is by having tutors who can answer your questions, explain the bits you have diffficulty with and critique your work. You won't get any of this from a video or DVD. The interaction with other students is also invaluable. You learn from their mistakes and innovations as well as from yours, the chats in the canteen and in the pub advance your imagination and way of thinking.

During your studies you make shorts, exercises and assignments. This is where you put your knowledge into practice, something you can only do properly at a film school since, once you get on a production, experimenation which goes wrong can cost you your job.

So, you said "videos are not less good... you know it's like being in the classroom, but with the comfort of the home.", well that's where you're very wrong. The classroom will teach you much, much more than any book or video can.

6. Default

i know school is better but i can't go there right now.

Hollywood Camera Work looks nice i'll check it out.
    any other cool videos?
    (i guess you will not learn only about cameras for a degree ).
    thanks