Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Editing AVCHD with ULead Proxy Files

1. Default Editing AVCHD with ULead Proxy Files

Hi All,

I'm just looking into my first camcorder and am a bit concerned about the post production side of things, chiefly how nice is the workflow when using ULead's proxy approach?

Does this really make editing a AVCHD file much easier and less of a resource hog that just editing the AVCHD file directly, one would hope it is, but its always worth checking!

I have been looking for some AVCHD files to download (http://www.videoforums.co.uk/camcord...chd-files.html) but I haven't found any so far ... any ideas where I might find some?

Thanks,

Jammer

Blog Entries

Why not get a camera that is HDV? Much better format and cameras...

3. Default

Hi Mark,

I really don't want to deal with tapes of any form. I never like tape storage for anything at all. Was fine for my Commodore 64 ...

If I was up for dealing with tape there is no competition, I would go for a Canon HV30 without a second thought ... I wish I could get a flash storage HV30 ...

I never bought into the HDD for mobile devices either, its asking for trouble imho, flash memory makes so much sense for devices like these. Bring on the solid state HDD I say ...

Blog Entries

I am sure solid state is the future but as implimented at present on consumer grade stuff it is compromised.

5. Default

It seems so from what I've learned so far. I did start looking at the HF11 as that now records in AVCHD's maximum bandwidth but the folks at camcorderinfo didn't seem to think it was worth the 40% odd increase in file size for hardly noticeable difference.

I've also come to the conclusion that now is probably not the best time to be looking for a flash based solution.

The HV30 seems like a killer cam for the money, I just don't want to be dealing with tape nor do I want a standard definition cam. Just those two factors have made the decision 1000 times harder.

Blog Entries

" the folks at camcorderinfo didn't seem to think it was worth the 40% odd increase in file size for hardly noticeable difference. "

( raises eyebrows )

I only have one gripe about the Canon HF10, it only has the fold out lcd, and with my eyes I like a proper view finder, I think the only thing that the HF11 would give you is better panning and zooming, I found when I did a test on mine the only difference between the low bit rate and the highest was that the pans got soft but the steady video was much the same on all settings, I put part of the test on vimeo.com/1570706 it is very much down graded by the re-compression and doesn't represent the original quality of the video it just gives you a rough idea of the effect caused by lowering the bit-rate, as for proxy editing it speeds up the scrubbing along the time line but has one disadvantage, if you want to take off a still image you have to be careful it's not a low resolution one. when I got mine I found my old computer was not fast enough, so upgraded with a new tower, it's a Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz 2GB ram and I have since fitted a cheap video card an ASUS EN8400GS 256MB, it makes it possible to edit with Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate that kept crashing without the card. it's the only program I found that does AVCHD that the Canon software "Pixela Image Mixer" can put back to the HF10 to use it's HDMI out.

8. Default

Hi Brian,

Thanks for this info.

It does reinforce my concerns about editing on my current machine.

I take it from your upgrade that editing the HF10 video, even using proxy files, was a problem?

Thanks,

James.

Hi James, The old computer was a Pentium 1.5 GHz. but it was very slow on AVCHD. I did managed to edit on Vegas Platinum 8 that I got a trial for, but when I updated to the new tower it made all the difference, and I switched to Ulead for it's smart render abilities, and I think there are slight differences in the AVCHD used by Sony and Canon so Vegas maybe more suitable for Sony, it was only a feeling I had from the presets it used. I am retrying Pinnacle at the moment, I like it for it's ease of use but before I got a Video card it crashed all the time.
    Cheers Bryan

10. Default

Hi Bryan,

Good grief ... a P1.5Ghz! I'd expect trouble!

Hmm ... I guess I'm going to have to suck it and see ... and keep an eye out for a dual core S939 Athlon if things go bad!

Then again ... I could just go the whole hog and upgrade the Motherboard, RAM and chip at the same time ... yay!

Thanks for the info.

James.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast