Hi all

I have a very simple objective:

To capture the 60 mini-DV tapes in my home-video collection to my hard drive.

Then I want to compress each of the raw 1-hour files to fit onto a single DVD+R. My standalone DVD player can play AVI and DivX. I don't want to edit 60 tapes right now!

I have previously used Windows Movie Maker to capture and edit some of these tapes with no problems. So it being very simple software, I reckoned it should be good enough for capturing only.

Now it seems that after I have captured the tape to HDD, I cannot play the 13 Gb files in MovieMaker or Windows media player. Only KMPlayer seems to play them without any problem.

In both WMM and WMP I click play and it just sits there showing the first frame. I can scroll along the time-bar and it wil show the video as if in pause mode.
I downloaded the latest Dr. DivX and loaded one of the raw avi's. I analyzes OK, but also cannot play the file in its preview window - same behaviour as WMM and WMP. It would try to encode, but fails during the second pass.

When I tried to capture using Pinnacle Studio 10 it worked fine. I can use Dr. DivX to recode the files, no problem.

Now, I have already captured about 30 tapes using WMM and I really don't want to redo it.

My system consists of the following:
Canon MV200 mini-DV camera
Gigabyte 7VT600-1394 mobo with on-board firewire
Athlon Barton 2500+ (1833 MHz AFAIK)
Seagate 750 Gb HDD and 2 x 120 Gb Seagates
WMM 2.1.4026.0
Dr. DivX 2.0.1 b7 with free 6.8.4 DivX encoder

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with my capturing process? Any help would be greatly appreciated.