Thread: Capture and editing

Default Capture and editing

Anyone help with this problem? I have a Canon camcorder and a PMC-500R portable video recorder (similar to an Archos) which captures from a Dogcam bullet camera. I bought Pinnacle Studio 11 for capturing and editing. Only when I got home did I find out Pinnacle needed Firewire (it said so in very small print on side of box!). Installed firewire card and cable and could capture/edit from the camcorder. But the PMC-500R only downloads via USB. I can load it onto my hard drive and open any video with Pinnacle - and construct/see/and run the video on the Pinnacle screen.
    But, when I try to 'make' the video and burn it to DVD the view-screen turns green and only the audio track is burned to disc. It is driving me nuts.!!! Any 'wizards' out there who can help - because Pinnacle have been no help at all.

It could be that your portable recorder is doing a video frame size that's not compatible with DVD. something like 768x576, the PAL standard before DV came out and went to 720x576.

How do I find out, O Wise Video Junkie?

Blog Entries

Pinnacle - more bugs than Starship troopers.

Not a great help I appreciate but what you are doing really should'nt freak an editor out - vegas movie studio, 30 quid, bug free, in my expirience.

Hi I was wrong about the frame size, I just had a look at the spec for the recorder you are using and it records in MPEG4 at the same resolution as your video camera so it might be that you need to load some new codecs you could try K-Lite codec pack or upgrade the program to handle it, you are editing DV and MPEG4 together. your other option is to convert the MPEG4, Xilisoft Video Converter might do it or TMPGEnc XPress4 there are any amount that you could try, but only if you have to I would only convert as a last resort.

Hi, 'Wandering Free' and 'Mark W'.
    apologies for not replying sooner but I've just been diagnosed with the 'Big Nasty' - which has come as a bit of a surprise to say the least, and has rather interfered with my computer & video activities.
    I'm still no further on with this damn video and Pinnacle ("more bugs than Starship Troopers", eh?). Have tried contacting Pinnacle again, with same result, - zilch. I had, still have somewhere, ULEAD which I see 'Wandering Free' uses. Is it worth reloading/trying that? Also, I will have a look at Vegas which you, Mark, have suggested. Thanks for your help thus far.

Hi, I and I'm sure all the rest of the forum wish you well for the future,
    When I originally tried Pinnacle studio I was using the on board video but after installing an Asus EN8400GS PCIe 16 video card it stabilized the program. no more crashes, I still find that I profer Ulead however as it has more overlay tracks and it's smart proxy editing is selectable as is the resolution, if you swiched on smart proxy it would be interesting to see how it handled the two different standards you are editing together, I've just done a test edit on Ulead with some diferent formats and did an overlay and it worked with no problems at all.
    All the best Bryan

Bless You, Bryan, for your thoughts and for all the new information and ideas you've now given me to play with. I shall try them out a.s.a.p.
    And isn't this forum a grand thing? First time I've got involved with one.
    My video? If/when I do get it as I want it I shall be sticking it on YouTube, not to demonstrate my skill as a pilot, but rather to show the problem(s) that can be caused by a simple lack of attention. (Never a good idea in the sky!)
    By the way, I understand there are some brilliant 'gliding places' down in your neck of the woods. Maybe I should just pop down(?) to your neck of the woods with my ruddy video...!

Not a bad idea we need all the oversees visitors we can get, the economy is taking a nose dive, we have hang gliding from Banicoat hill near use, if you want to see a video of what the area is like check out my video on vimeo.com/1507396, I was just having a look at your original post and if you have firewire out from the camera, you could do a direct mpeg2 conversion on a DVD recorder that has firewire in like the Pioneer DVR 510, then it all might edit together without any problem.
    Bryan