Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to achieve a numbers effect?

Default How to achieve a numbers effect?

Hey all

I couldn't find a video example of this, so bear with me while I try to explain

For storytelling purposes, I want to produce 5 digits (XXXXX) in which the number values change constantly. Just sporadically and randomly generating different digits. A slot-machine effect could work as well - I just need the image, or interpretation, of numbers changing. It also needs to be rapid.

Hopefully yall understood this strange request. Is this achievable in Vegas? If not, can anyone suggest alternatives? A huge THANK YOU in advance.
    Last edited by twish; 10-22-2008 at 04:14 AM.

I understand completely.

Now, how LONG would the sequence need to run for?

Within their "single-digit" placement do you want the numbers to alter from right to left; from left to right; from up to down or from down to up. OR do you NOT want them to be seen transitionalizing (?) at all?

For the story just how "random" should they be? Meaning, would a recycle of the same number be unacceptable say after 10 seconds? Would ANYBODY notice?

I am asking these questions 'cos if there IS a need for something more "random-able" it would require something more elaborate than I am thinking that Vegas could potentially deliver - yeah?

There ARE random number generators. These are used for a multiplicity of purposes. There are random-nesses found within some video apckages that deliver the look of numbers - I have Matrix-Fall which is part of the Particle-Illusion s/w. And I am suspecting that maybe some AE (?) and AE-alike packages will deliver this for you. It will all depend on just how elaborate your needs are to deliver a fully, non-repeating composited 5 digit display you are after?

Only you can answer!!

I like these type of Vegas-challenging compositing projects. Has got my Vegas braincell all a-quiver!

Grazie

Thanks for the enthusiastic reply Grazie!

Before anything I'd like to state that this effect shouldn't be anything incredible. It is going to be a small little thing within the frame. Not looking for any sort of high-end effect. The simpler, the better!

So to address your questions - it would be no longer than 5 seconds. Really quite short.

Transition, not required. Would be nice, but definitely not essential.

Randomness - not at all. You are right on, cycling through a set of numbers is just fine.

What do you think?

Email me and I'll get the "sample" veg to you tomorrow.

What version of Vegas you running?

Grazie

KNOCK KNOCK

"You have email"

. . enjoy . ..

Grazie

Thank you Grazie!

Your veg file has helped me approach creating the effect to my liking. Your time & effort is much appreciated.

You're very welcome.

Grazie

Blog Entries

Pray share!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Pray share!
    Bro Timothy - Your Prays have been answered!

And ONLY 'cos you asked so "nicely" . . .

Grazie
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

Thanks, Grazie. That's how I'd have approached it - almost.
    I'd have shifted the positioning using "placement" on the generated media but I prefer your method using track motion as it enables you to use only 10 generated media events ("0"-"9") and creating references to the original media when copying. Much tidier.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast