Thread: AVCHD: the new standard

Default AVCHD: the new standard

I've come across avchd and i need advise on how to utilize it for best editing. at this current moment i down-convert it for very clear 480p but is that the best idea?
    what do you guys do with avchd when it puts too much strain on the system? i mean it really gobbles up performance- what can i do?

Blog Entries

An old way of editing befor all this digital non destructive editing is a possible way forward.

Years ago the editor worked on a very low res version of the source, the editor then produced an edit decision list, EDL.

The EDL then controls the rendering of the HQ clip.

I suppose you could edit on the 480p version and then when done just rename the HQ version to exactly the same, then render - the same in effect, might work depending on your editor.

Or you could sell the camera and get an easier to edit HDV tape cam.

i would do that if it wasn't for all the hassle. I'm also not too fond of tapes, they require an hourly change.With avchd- you get a very compressed high res file and by down-converting it- you get crystal clear sharpness tapes exclude through interlacing. -again at the expense of performance.

I have a Canon HF10 and use Ulead 11.5 Plus it has what they call "Smart Proxy", that when select, it does a low res copy of the MTS files and when you output the final video it uses the originals, It's really doing what Mark says about edit decision lists with out you having to do anything. Another good program is Vegas, I think it does something similar, but am not that familiar with it.
    Last edited by wandering-free; 10-21-2008 at 06:19 AM.

i like the small proxy idea- makes life easier