Thread: Zoom question (moved post)

Blog Entries

Default Zoom question (moved post)

From - dj3rdz

I have seen it many times on television i.e music videos and documentaries... Its a still image on screen(part of slideshow) but i guess its in layers and the foreground would be a human and the backround is moving seperatly. So the human is being zoomed in and the backround either staying the same or being zoomed out. Its difficult to explain but the great thing is that it looks really cool and professional, it makes the still image not look so still. Does anyone know how to achieve this and which program they think would be best to use? All i am doing is making slide shows and wish to achieve this effect, i am somewhat savy in this area however dont know how to do this. Any help or advice would be greatful.

Blog Entries

Its called a dolly zoom.
    Dolly zoom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is not done in the edit but when shooting.

Blog Entries

My interpretation of the original question is that the source is a still or photo. If I'm right, then it has to be done in post, and yes the image is layered. I've done this once and I simply used Paintshop Pro to cut out the bit you want to move and save as .png with transparency. Then I applied a slight blur to the remaining background to fake depth of field. I then imported both images to Vegas and applied motion tracking to both, one slightly away, one slightly forward. Voila.

EDIT - Go HERE and look at the Sgt Pepper cover at one minute in...
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 10-20-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Oh yea - doh!

You can see many examples of this in the BEAUTIFUL film "The Kid Stays in the Picture." It defiantly causes the photo to have a big dose of life in it. I created the same effects for a sideshow presentation and it was a huge success.

Essentially - you bring in the still photo into After Effects and you CUT OUT the subject (human being for instance) and you make it a separate layer. Stack it on top of the photo again and then you're free to move the Subject Layer around as you wish AS LONG AS it COVERS the original subject on the still photograph underneath it - that's why you usually see it being moves ever so slowly. Then as you move the subject towards the cam you can - as Andy talked about - blur our the back ground - mess with the levels - just neat neat things you know? Just great!