Thread: How do I get AVCHD into IMovie

Default How do I get AVCHD into IMovie

Hi I did a 2 camera shoot with a friend, he has a Sony that takes HDV onto tape, and uses Apple IMovie to edit, I use a Canon HF10 it uses AVCHD and I edit on a Windows XP computer, we are both using 1920x1080i, I had no trouble importing both camera footage into my computer and not wishing to start an argument about the pros and cons of both systems, can some one tell me how I get my AVCHD video onto a Apple computer, I thought I might be able to convert my AVCHD to HDV and download the Video onto his camera but that was a complete failure so is there some intermediate video compression that I can convert my video to that doesn't loose to much quality that will go onto an Apple computer,
    Thanks Bryan

Blog Entries

Ask your friend to upgrade to imovie 08 - the latest version will work with your camera's files.

iMovie ?08: Camcorder Support

Thanks Mark, I had a look at the link and a few other web sites it seems the Imovie converts the AVCHD, I'm wondering how long his Intel Core2 duo 2.2GHz would take to convert a 1 hour video, even if he updates from ImovieHD that he currently uses. I did convert my video to mov but it wouldn't recognize that ether, I wasn't surprised, mov has so many variants just like avi, it still would be good if there was some compatible way of doing it, I wondered if it would take blue-ray video this I could convert easily, him and his wife are away for a week, so won't be able to test any conversions till next week.

All you need is a converter that convert AVCHD to imovie. If you want to import .MTS, .M2TS files from AVCHD camcorders or Blu-ray discs in iMovie for editing, here I recommened Aunsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac. You can have a try.

Blog Entries

Dunno why so many first posters are recommending converters. Any imovie after 08 will accept AVCHD and Lite straight from the camcorder.