Thread: Jerky Slow Motion in Premiere CS3, shot 60 FPS - NEED IMMEDIATE HELP!!

Default Jerky Slow Motion in Premiere CS3, shot 60 FPS - NEED IMMEDIATE HELP!!

I am editing a music video where we shot a good deal of it with the audio mix sped up 100% and then filmed the band at 60 FPS, so that when played back they have that surreal, "singing and playing in real time but looks kinda slowish" feel. It's been done a billion times and I know you know what I'm talking about.

At any rate, when I right click on the clips in the timeline and choose "Speed/Duration", then drop it to 50% (with the Frame Blend option checked), it plays in the source windows at a nice, smooth speed. But, when I render the clips out, suddenly they playback WORSE, containing jerky motion and it's not at all smooth anymore.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I've tried checking off Frame Blend as well but it still looks the same; clunky when rendered. I think it's odd that it plays back so smoothly when not rendered (I'm assuming my vidcard is responsible for the video playback of unrendered clips?). Here's some critical data that might help you come up with a solution:

Shot On: Panasonic DVC PRO HD Camera w/ Red Rock Lens
    Editing: Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 (licensed)
    Editing Mode: P2 720p 60Hz DVCPROHD
    Frame Size: 960 x 720 (16:9)
    Timebase: 23.976 frames/second
    Pixel Aspect Ratio: HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.33)
    Display Format: 24 fps timecode

I don't have CS3 (still using PPro v2) but I do know you should read the chapter on frame blending in your manual. PPro CS3 is supposed to have the same time remapping facilities as I;m used to in After Effect 7 so it shouold be able to do a good job. Frame blending is just awfull and I can't imagine anyone ever really wanting that as an effect.

Actually, I should have posted a reply or edit, but after rendering out a production version and playing it back, the slow-motion was fine. So it was the more or less "real time" render that was messed up, likely due to a subpar video card. Either that, or settings I have on the playback in the project.

Either way, I am truly relieved the issue is not really an issue at all. However, thanks for offering up advice!!