Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Preview in Vegas 8.0 Pro HD

1. Default Preview in Vegas 8.0 Pro HD

Hi,

Im editing in Sony Vegas 8.0 Pro, I have a Sony HDR-UX3E High Definition camera (1920 x 1080 AVCHD) 50i.

But if I'm editing and I want to preview it (hitting space bar), I doesn't play very well.
    I have a GeForce 8800 GT XXX 512MB and a Intel Quad Core Q6600 and 3GB ram.
    So it must be enough.

Can someone tell me what to do? Because I want to see my videos good in the preview.

Isn't there some option for Pre-render?

Thanks

In the preview screen along the top, there is a drop down list to change the preview quality of the screen from best to daft, try change that until things run a bit smoother, that should help..

3. Default

Thanks for your comment but I've already tried that, from half to quarter and still it's not previewing smoothly

What are your Project settings?

5. Default

HD 1080-50i (1920x1080; 25,000 fps)

Now I see there is also a HDV, what is de difference between:

HD 1080-50i (1920x1080; 25,000 fps)

and

HDV 1080-50i (1920x1080; 25,000 fps)

?

Looks the same huh?

Read this (bit old now. . ) and come back:

HDV vs HD: A Primer : HDV Format Tutorial

Grazie

7. Default

Ok thanks, HDV is a bit cheaper and less quality.
    But I have a HD cam not a HDV.
    But isn't there any button for pre-rendering or something? So that Vegas will play my footage smoothly in the preview screen?
    Or any kind of other method to play it smootly except changing the preview quality because I've already done that..

Quote Originally Posted by Rabelistastudios View Post
    But I have a HD cam not a HDV.
    What camera do you have?

Grazie

Blog Entries

Your camera is not HDV or HD. It records in a format called AVCHD.

This is a more compressed format than HD or HDV and this means that it takes more cpu power to edit, meaning that preview is likely to be more jumpy.

As suggested above the way round this is to reduce the quality and size of the preview.

I dont use any sort of hi def, I still use dtandard def DV - this is the 'easiest' for the computer to edit but even then when using lots of fx I fond my preview window can drop to just a few fps.

Just for background, SD DV uses a very simple and lowish compression regime, about 7 to 1 and is the smoothest format to edit.

HD is not something forum users come across as it is the preserve of very expensive pro cameras. It uses slight compression, between 2 to 1 and 4 to 1, but a one hour tape is as big as a large paperback.

HDV is the consumer 'hi def' format and uses higher compression than any of the above at about 20 to 1 and a more complicated way of compressing data, this means hdv needs more power than standard def dv to edit.

Finally we get to AVCHD, with sompression from 20 to 30 to 1, most compression, most cpu power to edit.

Hard drive camcorders are very convenient and comact and do away with tape worries but thay trade this for editing challenges.

Finally, use ' ram preview ' to render short chunks of the timeline to preview bits on the timeline that are jumpy - I use this all the time -
    Tools> dynamic ram preview You really need 2 gig min to use this.
    or
    just render small bits of a project. All my project folders have a subfolder called 'try' or ' fiddle' where i put short render tests.
    Last edited by Mark W; 10-17-2008 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabelistastudios View Post
    Ok thanks, HDV is a bit cheaper and less quality.
    Ah-huh . .. How much was your AVCHD camera? I know that the SONY Z7 HDV camera is around 3,700 plus? How much was your camera? I've seen the Canon 30 for about 400 quid?

Mark, I think the penny is dropping . . .

Grazie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast