Thread: Mic set up

1. Default Mic set up

Hi there,

I'm in the process of putting together my first video 'kit'. I've got my camera, 'puter and accessories and am now turning my attention to sound.

Can anyone recommend a decent mic for use with the Sony HVR HD1000e? I guess I want it for general use and the odd to camera interview. I see Mark W has posted a video review on here but for some reason my Mac at work won't play it so perhaps there was one in there which came out trumps.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune but have approx 100 - 150 to play with - is that a good amount to do it justice without using the built in mic with camera?

On the same subject, what's the best way to capture and edit sound into my PC. If I want to do voice overs with no film do I need a specific programme to capture, edit and add sound to Sony Vegas or does the programme have sound capture built in. I also have Sony Cinescore.

Many thanks

Blog Entries

Hi Goldfinger,

I have the Rode VideoMic and like Mark W have been somewhat unimpressed. It does the job but it ain't great. I've not used the Sennheiser MK300D which is usually the other main contender. But both have their fans - it's really down to personal taste.

The most important issue with all mics (as I'm sure you're aware) is to get as close to the sound source as possible. I'm after advice in another thread viz-a-viz lavs for this purpose.

Your second question is one I can answer with some authority. YES, you can record direct into Sony Vegas. And there's an interactive tutorial about that specific task under "Help".

Edit? Well, the captured sound is simply and event and you can chop it up as per video events. You can also apply a number of useful effects (eg compression, eq) and manipulate it in a number of ways (eg add a volume or pan envelope, raise/lower pitch or speed) and you can use add-in effects (VST or direct X). Vegas started as an Audio mixer. However, it's not a full blown sound editor in the same way that say Sound Forge or Adobe Audition are (although you can set it to open your favourite sound editor program so you can use that seamlessly within Vegas)
    Tim

3. Default Mic one, two (three)

Thanks for those helpful thoughts Tim - can I clarify, are you using the Rode 'Stereo' Videomic which I assume is the latest version of the stereo mic you mention. Do you know if this is any better / worse than the video mic you mention?

Blog Entries

Not the Rode Stereo VideoMic, just the basic VideoMic. I've run my post through my wordprocessor and can't see I mentioned "stereo" anywhere
    Just to clarify, both mics I mentioned are MONO.

I'd be guilty of BS if I commented further as I have no first hand experience of anything other than on-board and the Rode VideoMic.
    Tim

5. Default

OK; chill - was just asking as I've seen both advertised, wasn't accusing you of anything untoward

Blog Entries

The rode - yea like Tim says, I wasnt impressed by build or performance. I wish I had got the sen300. I uspect my expectations of the mic may have been unfair as I have a couple of full on expensive pro guns, but also the way it was made was just annoying - that suspension system is just rubbish, and probably poijntless.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
    wasn't accusing you of anything untoward
    And it wasn't taken as such. Totally chilled (hence my smiley)
    Tim