Thread: DVD recorders

Default DVD recorders

Not sure where to put this... As you'll know if you've been paying attention , I'm about to embark on a project to convert dozens of VHS-based home movies to DVD via whatever circuitous route looks as if it might work best. Initial trials indicate that the quality I'm going to get from the Belkin A/D converter will be pants. I'm going to mess around a little more, but I'm already constructing a Plan B. Plan B involves me buying a standalone DVD recorder. I've caught sight of the Liteon 5005 (see e.g. http://www.nextgenelectronics.com/liteon5005.shtml) which has been really well reviewed, and can be had from e.g. Amazon for only 170. It has the requisite analog (and, if it comes that, 1394) inputs and, per the reviews, DVD-recorded output is pretty decent. My question is, will what the thing records to DVD be editable? Or will it end up as a VOB file or whatever that I'll need to convert back to .avi? I see that it encodes to MPEG-1 and MPEG-2: does that tell me everything I need to know? And: does anyone have any experience of these DVD recorders in general - or thoughts about the suitability of this as a way forward?
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Blog Entries

They are not suited for converting with a view to editing (the firewire will be IN only). Get something like a ADVC100 to convert the analogue signal to DV.

Thanks for the quick response Marc. Not sure I understand the point about firewire being in-only: I'm looking to hook up an analog VHS VCR to the unit via its analog input, copy the VHS video cassette directly to DVD, then take the resulting DVD to my PC for editing - so 1394 doesn't come into it, does it? I'm trying to avoid the 'classical' approach of getting a 'proper' analog/digital converter (as I imagine the ADVC100 is) for a whole host of reasons. But perhaps I can't...
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

Blog Entries

I'm looking to hook up an analog VHS VCR to the unit via its analog input, copy the VHS video cassette directly to DVD, then take the resulting DVD to my PC for editing
    I would not recommend this method. You may need to convert the VOBs for editing and will certainly lose quality on final output (although this may not be much of an issue). Certainly Premiere will not import the VOBs and does not natively suppory MPEG editing.

I strongly urge you to invest in a unit with hardware analogue to DV conversion.

OK, thanks Marc. Plan C here we come...