Thread: Would this be a good computer?

Default Would this be a good computer?

Hi,

Hopefully I can get a better response than 'buy a mac' like I did on another forum earlier..

Anyway, I recently bought myself a funky HV30 and next I need to either upgrade my old computer or buy a new one to be able to edit. I decided to just get a new one as I have a bit of cash left over and have looked around online and found this :

Zoostorm Core 2 Quad Q6700 Advanced Premium PC, 750GB HDD, 4 GB Ram and XFX 9800GT Over Clocked Graphics, Vista Home Premium - Ebuyer

Can I some advice on what you guys think on this machine? I'm pretty clued up on computers to a point, but occasionally need a helping hand on certain hardware issues

The price of that one appeals to me as at the moment, that is all I can really afford.

Thanks!

Great camera the Canon HV30 but I have a problem with the computer you are looking to buy, maybe you have seen this so apologies if I am repeating stuff you already know. The Canon is a High Def camcorder and to get the full benefit of this high quality picture you will need a HDMI terminal on your computer so you can connect the camcorder to the computer and capture the video.

I was just on Canon's website and it doesn't list a Firewire socket on this camcorder so you may want to look into that before deciding to buy. There may be a HDMI to Firewire adaptor you can buy but other forum members will have to answer that. It would be a pity to have bought a High Def camcorder and then be forced to use the Standard Def video on it as your computer doesn't have a HDMI socket.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 10-18-2008 at 09:30 PM.

If they are anything like the HV20, I had one on trial, it uses the USB port to transfer stuff using the IEEE 1394 ('firewire') protocol, so no losses through the USB.

I think .

I'll have a look around

EIDT:

Hmm, not sure, there's some stuff here in 'features/edit and share your video' : http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...delFeaturesAct

But nothing firm about it being HD. Sadly I didn't continue with the camera long enough to get to that.

EDIT EDIT: It kind of implies it rather than saying it:

You can edit and share your video with the VIXIA HV30. Once you're connected to your computer, DV streaming and ultra-fast transfer of movies is a breeze. And because the VIXIA HV30 uses the IEEE 1394 protocol, there's no loss of picture or audio quality in the process. You'll want to share your brilliant HD memories with friends and family, and the VIXIA HV30 makes it fast and easy.
    Last edited by Jerry Hill; 10-18-2008 at 09:58 PM.

link to the specs for HV30 on canons website. says it does have a DV in/out terminal so firewire transfer is available

Canon HV30 HD Camcorder - Canon UK

Yes, we know that, but it appears to do it through the USB port, not the usual 4 pin firewire type. What we need to know is doe it pass HDV through this too, or does the suggested computer have to have an HDMI facility.

High definition can only be output through a HDMI socket is that correct? If that is correct then a firewire or usb will be no good.