Thread: bad blur on panning - Help please!

Angry bad blur on panning - Help please!

Hi there - firstly I am NOT a technical guy so I'd be really grateful if someone could explain this in laymans terms.

I've got some holiday footage that I took with my DV camera. I've imported it to my PC (running VISTA) using both Windows Movie Maker and Adobe Premier CS3. I've got the hang of editing on both pieces of software.

Now my panning skills arent great but they arent that bad either. However when I export the final edited footage and burn it to DVD its un watchable! The whole experience is sea sickness inducing. Ive got some mega blurring problems, the whole thing just looks TOO sharp on the panning and a result I am running out of ideas. I've got lost on a few forums and could really use some help.

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Is there any chance of a few seconds of footage showing this?

how do i do that?

Use your editor to chop out one of the offending sections, say five seconds long to keep the file small, then upload it to a place like youtube or putfile etc if you can.

If that's no good I'll send you a private message with my email address and send it over, if I can't suss it easily I'll make it viewable for others to help.

Of course this assumes it's the rendering, not the writing to DVD that's the problem, if the renders are ok, then we need to look at the DVD authoring side.

Default re

think emailing might be better - you tube aint the best quality in the first place.

Hi, Have you checked that you are not changing the field order, Premiere defaults to lower field first, so first check what field order the video is, and just do an experiment by changing the field order of the final mpg, also check that you are not using progressive, stay with interlaced, these are the things I've found can make video, especially pans look rough.

Blog Entries

I agree - PAL DV is always loer field first.

Blog Entries

Maybe I should also add that panning above a certain speed will always look rubbish. You get a feel for how fast you can go, but it really isnt that fast befor it looks jerky / blurry.

Adding motion blurr to fast pans is a good get out in post.

Hi Chris - Try burning a sample pan to your DVD at a different bitrate, suggest 6 to 8 mbs. If you have too low a bitrate, it could blur the pan. Too high and the DVD can stutter on playback.

Lightbulb It's a video filter issue, this fix worked for me

In movie maker, choose Tools/Options/Compatibility

Click Restore all Defaults

On doing this I noticed ffdshow video decoder was now unchecked, you may have other installed filters that are causing the issue, but restoring all defaults should fix the problem.