Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows or MAC - Sony or Final Cut?

Default Windows or MAC - Sony or Final Cut?

To buy or not to buy, that is the question. I've been using Windows based computers for my editing work and use the Sony Vegas editing system. The time has just about arrived to purchase a new computer. I've been doing my editing on a P4 laptop which I have had for about 6 years now and recently upgraded it to 2 gig of RAM. Up till now it has been ok, but I am starting to notice a performance loss with the use of Sony Vegas 8, especially when trying to use an external monitor.

I need to upgrade, but I am having difficulty deciding: Should I upgrade to a new Windows based machine and continue using Vegas OR should I switch to a MAC and use Final Cut? The cost of the quality of machine I need will be about the same either way ($5,000+), but is there anything to be gained buying a MAC?

I see that many in the digital filmmaking business use the MAC and Final Cut, but is that alone a good reason to make the switch? Is there some kind of special voodoo about a MAC machine (or FCP) that I am not aware of? If I switch to a MAC I will need to learn Final Cut (Vegas does not support MAC). This is big decision and I would really appreciate some feedback and input to make an informed decision.
    Thanks all.

Blog Entries

Unless you have a good reason to change why even consider it. I've no axe to grind with Macs but I can immediately see the following disadvantages for you....
    1. As you've stated - learning to use new tools (not just FCP, but everything else on it)
    2. Macs never go wrong, but who do you turn to if it does? Come to that who do you turn to for general support? My sister constantly curses her husband for buying a Mac as she knows dozens of people who can help her out with PCs but has to phone Apple when it's a Mac.
    3. On a Mac platform, FCP has to compete with......
    [list ends]. Not very competitive, is it. Having said that people seem to swear by how wonderful Mac software is. There again, this might just be people trying to justify their purchase.
    4. Windows people may be geeks, but Mac users are dreadful bores
    Tim

4. Windows people may be geeks, but Mac users are dreadful bores.... because they never know when to shut the **** up about how great their computers are. Every lecturer I had in college went on day in and day out about how great mac's were, and they took it personally if you tried to say that Windows computers had their good points aswell. It begins to get a bit old after hearing it for 4 years non stop.

I run Vegas on a Q4 and it runs as smooth as baby's back side, it is also on a Duo core laptop as well, that's SD and HDV.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    4. Windows people may be geeks, but Mac users are dreadful bores.... because they never know when to shut the **** up about how great their computers are. Every lecturer I had in college went on day in and day out about how great mac's were, and they took it personally if you tried to say that Windows computers had their good points aswell. It begins to get a bit old after hearing it for 4 years non stop.
    OK, I am beginning to see that I have unknowingly opened a bad can of worms here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    OK, I am beginning to see that I have unknowingly opened a bad can of worms here.
    Not really. Just different personalities.
    Both camps are guilty of a certain amount of dogma.
    Mac camp ... Mac Good. Windows Bad.
    Windows Camp ... Both Bad. But we can probably fix Windows or someone can probably help us to do so.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Can of worms? Nahhh - pandoras box !

Macintosh - a marketing company that sells posh gadgets to the financially secure image insecure spoilt underachiever, with a small sideline on PC clones without a sensible operating system.

The argumant, and a vlaid if overplayed one, for FCP was something like - it must be the best cos macs are the best and so an so film was edit on it - honest my mate told me and he is really cool, he has 4 ipods - wow....

MAc and avid were pretty much the most popular pro editors for ages but as computers ahve got faster most other packages can offer similar abilities.

FCP WAS one of the few editiors that did its maths anod could ouput in 32 bit colour, probably essential for editing 35mm transfers - but now vegas 8 pro is 32 bit ( and I suspect all the reat too).

My friend uses FCP but last year she had a go on vegas and was instantly impressed with it... .

I could gon on, really really go on... lols.

Macs / fcp - PC / whatever - lots of great computers and great editiors, but I weary of the idiotic claims by SOME make loons that thier computer is 'better' and 'the fastest thing on the planet'.

Final word in this rant - macs advertise thier products like mad, PCs just sort of sell themselves.... nuff said.

Another final word, just thinking about my apps, the little ones, I dont think mac has a huge resource of cool fee stuff???
    Like, on my pc,

AVG - free
    V dub - free
    G spot - free
    Adaware - free
    and so on.....

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    3. On a Mac platform, FCP has to compete with......
    [list ends]. Not very competitive, is it.
    Let me see if I am getting this correct. You say that with a MAC there is only Final Cut Pro and no others? Yet there seems to be several different editing systems for Windows. Ok, that in itself, is a strong argument against buying a MAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    FCP WAS one of the few editiors that did its maths anod could ouput in 32 bit colour, probably essential for editing 35mm transfers - but now vegas 8 pro is 32 bit ( and I suspect all the reat too).
    Mark,
    That is what I needed to know. I knew there was "something" but was not sure.
    My mind is now made up! I will be getting a new Windows video editing workstation and sticking with Vegas!

Thanks to all for the valuable feedback.

Hi Word Digger.

I'm in a place at work where everyone uses macs, there would be maybe 2 windows PC machines only for the few who dare to bring such a thing to the arty world of film making, and remember its all about image.

I do note these things about Mac users..

They tend not to fiddle with hardware, and if in need of a fix they run off to the nearest Mac dealer.

They may tell you their machines are highly evolved, and superior to other PC's without any type of computer hardware knowledge, as they never fix their own machines.

They fork out huge amounts of $$ for software.

They tend to buy only because the person next to them has one, so its image, but they will never admit to that, all you will hear is other reasons for the purchase.

If you have been with PC for some time its a big jump, and for those who think a mouse is fine with only one button ( i know there are two button mac mouses now) well I tell you its not, its a word starting with SH and ending with IT.

What I have noticed is people who were getting into HDV editing early on were buying Mac's, so many of my video editing friends do work on Macs, but many of them find Final Cut Pro a difficult program to learn, so they work on I movie..I still hear people say, once you go Mac you never go back.

Just my thoughts, I guess I will be shot down in flames, if your comfortable with PC then stay, really think why you have Mac on the mind, ignore those flash Ad's, and sexy looking laptops, its all image control to control you mind.

I work too close to people in advertising, Mac have image control down to a fine art, and guess who pays for that image......YOU, once you buy one.

Good luck with whatever decision you take.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast