Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 newport beach film festival call for entries

1. Default 2009 newport beach film festival call for entries

CALL FOR ENTRIES:

The Newport Beach Film Festival will be celebrating its 10th anniversary with an action-packed line up of independent and studio films from around the globe. From premieres of contemporary cinema, to live fashion shows, and tastes of Newport Beach’s finest culinary creations, we offer filmmakers the ultimate Festival experience.

The Festival will feature nightly special events including: red carpet galas, filmmaker receptions, compelling filmmaker Q & A sessions, international spotlights, industry seminars and retrospectives. In addition, the Festival hosts numerous opportunities to connect with enthusiastic new audiences, fellow filmmakers, film industry professionals and the media in a beautiful seaside location in Orange County, California (only 55 miles south of Hollywood).

Scheduled to take place from April 23-30, 2009, the Festival will screen over 350 films, including feature-length narrative, documentary, short, animated and student films. Films will screen at the historic Regency Lido Theater, the Big Newport and Edwards Island Cinemas in Fashion Island.

The Newport Beach Film Festival is currently accepting film submissions in all genres and categories from professional and student filmmakers from around the world. Please submit your film, through the following link www.NewportBeachFilmFest.com

2. Default

2009 NEWPORT BEACH FILM FESTIVAL – EARLY BIRD DEADLINE

Newport Beach Film Festival
    April 23-30, 2009

The Early bird deadline for submissions into the festival is FRIDAY, OCT. 24

SUBMISSION FEES:
    $35 Feature length- Withoutabox discount fee $25
    $30 Shorts- Withoutabox discount fee $20

SUBMIT NOW and SAVE!

www.Newportbeachfilmfest.com

Blog Entries

" SUBMIT NOW and SAVE! " OR save more - dont enter.

I ahve entered a fe competitions over the years - none have asked me to pay. Competitions really should be free.

4. Default

Dear Fellow Filmmakers,

We appreciate your blog comments as we are very interested in hearing suggestions regarding ways to improve our Festival.

I want to take a moment to clarify...

**We take our submission process very seriously. For filmmakers, we have tried to keep fees at a minimum. Next, we guarantee that your film will be viewed in its entirety by a minimum of five people.

**If you are a serious filmmaker who will be submitting to a number of U.S. Festivals, then you'll most likely be using www.withoutabox.com. If you become a member of this site, you will receive a substantial discount off of the submission fee, the earlier you apply. The early bird fee for withoutabox members for shorts is only $20.

**The Newport Beach Film Festival is a non proift 501 (c)3 organization, a community run Festival comprised primarily of dedicated volunteers who are extremely passionate about bringing outstanding films to Southern California.

**In order to put on a world-class festival to highlight your films, it costs money. We wish that ticket sales and sponsorships covered all of our expenses, alas, this is not the case, nor does the cost of submission fees. The package that we offer accepted filmmakers is exceptional. In addition, if accepted, we put on an amazing festival and make sure our filmmakers have a great time-not only during their screenings but with numerous panels, mixers and parties.

**We do understand the work you put into your film and feel you deserve to have your film viewed by as many reviewers as possible before any decision is made. We also understand the costs and pressures of promoting and marketing your film.

**The Newport Beach Film Festival experience is unique, dynamic, interactive and worth the investment of the entry fee for any film of quality. If a filmmaker was to rent a theater, advertise, insurance and equipment -it would cost an enormous amount of money. We rely heavily on the donors/sponsors to help with the gap of expenses that are not covered by fees and ticket sales.

Hopefully, this has been helpful and given you some insight into how our Festival operates. On behalf of the Newport Beach Film Festival, I wish everyone luck with their films and hope to see you at our festival in April.

Sincerely,

Erik Forssell
    Director of Photography
    Director of Programming

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    " SUBMIT NOW and SAVE! " OR save more - dont enter.

I ahve entered a fe competitions over the years - none have asked me to pay. Competitions really should be free.
    I agree! Many "Film Festivals" are little more than parasitic scams feeding off the aspiring filmmaker's dream of making the big time. Only a very few are even worth the effort, and then only if you have a great product with actual money making potential.

Instead of spending cash on these 'festivals' I use it to make my own films better. You can shell out lots of money entering these kind of competitions and hear absolutely nothing back. Waste of time really + there are lots of respectable festivals that you don't have to pay to enter.
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Blog Entries

Newport - I hear what you say, but you dont pay to enter competitions, you just dont. It's the oldest scam in the book, even if your motives are sound.

I would suggest that if your business model means you have to charge the people who in effect are providing you with the films you need to run a festival then your model is wrong.

This web resource us free cos we have adverts ( sponsors), yet you have sponsors and still insist on chargeing the people who are infact facilitating your festival...

Every respected competition I know of is free to enter, and that is the way it clearly should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    This web resource us free cos we have adverts ( sponsors), yet you have sponsors and still insist on chargeing the people who are infact facilitating your festival...
    Perhaps the festival should run Google Ads -

You don't pay to enter competitions? I don't know what kind of festivals you have been involved with, but it cost me 50 bucks for Palm Springs, 45 for Sundance, and about 40 for Toronto and these are some of the most respected Festivals on the circuit. I just googled the Newport Beach one and they seem to have a pretty solid rep.

Blog Entries

As you say, you had to google for this festival. That speaks volumes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast