Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Wedding Tomorrow!

Default First Wedding Tomorrow!

Well, I got a phone call from thew wife's cousin a couple of days ago asking if I would video her wedding tomorrow? At least she's reasonable and wants me to be a guest first (I was already nthe guest list).

A few yeasr ago I took my little camera to her brother's wedding and cut them a DVD of what stuff I had. I understand they were pleased enough, even if they never called me to say so...

Well, tomorrow's bride says she was well impressed and can I do the same for her. No probs I said.

Anyways, what I've decided to do is still be "Uncle Alan" with his video camera but attempt to do the thing semi-properly and take two HDV cameras and radio mics and stuff. I can play at being a 'real wedding videographer' withouth the hassle of worrying in case I mess things up.

I'll let you all know how it went. You never know I might actually enjoy it. Not looking forward to carting all the stuff a mile up the high street from the nearest car park though... :(

no guns in this production. I promise. Not even a shotgun!

Good luck and don't over indulge on the Sherry.

Ooooh the responsibility! This time people will be expecting results!

Best of luck with it Alan.

Hope it went well Alan. It'd be great fun, but bet you're totally exhausted today. Amazing what 8 hours of pure adrenalin does to the system.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    Anyways, what I've decided to do is still be "Uncle Alan" with his video camera but attempt to do the thing semi-properly and take two HDV cameras and radio mics and stuff. I can play at being a 'real wedding videographer' without the hassle of worrying in case I mess things up.

I hope you stuck to your intentions and that it all worked out. Sounds to me like the ideal way to approach a family wedding.

Blog Entries

Yea - good luck Alan - after the one I did the other day I was left knackered and bored from stnding about for ages then ru nrun run, then wait wait and so on. Best bit for me was gettinbg a shot of a baby puking all down some posh frock - that and getting lots of attention from the ladies - actually maybe I will do some more.

My estimation is that this is the most difficult way to earn a crust from camming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    My estimation is that this is the most difficult way to earn a crust from camming.
    My worry entirely!

OK, so the day went reasonably well and I was quite fortunate in some respects. i knew a bundle of the people there and even got a thank-you from the groom in his speach for doing it

The photographer was also a friend of the family (but a real photographer to boot) which helped so there was no animosity anywhere whcih I think was good. I've heard lots of stories about videographers fighting with the photographer.

The only one I fought with was the disco guy. I had aboslutle NO CHANCE of going around to poeple and asking them to say a few congratulatory words on camera for the bride and groom. For me he got it all wrong! What's more the business has changed since I last went to a disco of any kind. No disc of any kind, just an laptop playing MP3s!!! Let's face it, his clientell was couple s and many of more senior years, yet at full blast all we had was young pop songs. Got on everyone's tits I think! Wasn't even quiet when the food came out.

Tell you people what though, for a registry office do it was better than most churches. The wedding was at the Guildhall in Windsor, wher Charlie and Camilla got wed (and Elton john apparently!). Beautiful place.

So I did a two camera shoot on my own. Set up the little camera as a catch all wider shot and I stood behind my FX1 and did the closeups with that.

have a look at the wedding car. interesting hardly does it!

I'll write more soon. not going to edit yet. Waiting on my new quad core box and Adobe CS4 to start it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Oh that car really must be mine!

What a car!, looks like an interesting wedding edit.

I am absolutely knackered from weddings and personally don't want to see another this year....

Just got 15 edits backlog to catch up with now....

Cheers.
    GDR

Blog Entries

When I got married it was a flight to Scotland with a couple of mates and back in time for work on Monday.

The witnesses (and "recorders of the occasion") were a Bafta winning cameraman and a Magnum photographer. The resulting video was the worst wedding vid I've ever seen! Both of them admitted that they'd never done a wedding in their lives! Weddings are underestimated by everyone who hasn't done them and feared by those who have.

Edit: Excellent car... I want, I want!
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 10-13-2008 at 04:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast