Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid newbie question

Cool Stupid newbie question

hi

oke im new user of sony vegas pro 8 (i had it like a present) about 4 months now but i dint do very much with it but now last weeks i was exploring it a bit and watched some great videos on net etc... and im in love... lol i mean it seems very cool to make such things

now i readed on net that sony is one of the best affordable software...
    but what can you do realy with it? what are the limits? is sony good enought to learn to work with it or do i need some more strong program for video editing ? if i wanna be quite good amateur

i mean it looks great etc.. but i dont realy know what can you do with sony? what is the best of sony can produce? couse im just a newbie and it al looks same to me if i mean cutting and paste and fading can doe every single editing software also under 50$ so what is the maximum power of the sony?

is there any great video made al with sony so i can see what you can doe with it sony on his best?
    and are there any tutorials ??? i see many tutorials on the web for every single application but not for sony vegas???? how is this possible? does none work with it? or it is just to limited?

pls help

Blog Entries

Once you get into editing video I think you'll come to realise most your questions are somewhat meaningless.
    Let's start here.
    From the way you are taking, I'd suggest you have one of the Sony Vegas MOVIE STUDIO versions. This is the same as the Pro Version with some restrictions. These restrictions may or may not be relevant. See Sony Creative Software - Vegas Pro 8 - Vegas Family Comparison for comparisons (though be aware you're running an earlier version so there may be minor differences). However, I suspect you're not yet ready to fully appreciate the differences until you've used your version in earnest for a few months.

What can you do with Vegas? What do you want to do? It's a tool. You are only restricted by it if you want to do something that it is incapable of doing.
    What it won't do is 3D text. And it doesn't come with hundreds of whizzy transitions and effects. If you want that - look elsewhere.
    If you want a solid, stable editing package that deals with a variety of video formats and is capable of doing so within one project (eg mix and match jpgs, mpegs, avis etc to create one output video) then you can do a lot worse.

What is the maximum power of Sony? How do you want me to quantify that. Movie Studio has up to four video and four audio tracks. The pro version is limited in tracks effectively by the power of your PC (I've created a video wall with 25 video + 25 audio + 1 background track - that's 51 tracks) But that just means it can have lots of tracks.

Again I come back to the original question....What do YOU want to do?

Maybe post a few examples of things you'd like to be able to do and we an tell you wether Vegas is capable and/or the most suitable tool.

And there are a lot of tutorials out there. I'm not at my machine at the moment so I don't have the links, maybe someone else could posts a few.
    Tim

Hi Tim

i told in begin of my message that i have a pro version maybe you dint see it or just read onder the first line...

anyway my question is (i dint called this topic for nothing stupid neewbie question) couse i know it is a weird quisten

what i in fact wanna know is like what can vegas do or cant do vs premiere en or avid xpress pro

or in wich things is vegas beter similar or worsers with those two other applications

what can i do with vegas if i wanna quite good videos can i do that with vegas ?

whre lies the line between capabillyts of vegas and other video editing software

when i know that i need a beter software than vegas (no i dont mean when i find out that it cant do somthing to look for other...) i mean now im a complete newbie in videoediting and i wanna make best choice in videoediting for the future .... but i dont wanna go on prices couze more expensiver aint always beter i know those 2 are expensiver etc but for what

what are the limits of sony

i hope i cleard beter my question

thanks in regards

Blog Entries

The choice between vegas pro, premier, fcp and the rest is largely down to personal preference.

They are all very similar in thier abilities and differ slightly in thier layout and appearence.

so i could make with sony vegas pro anymovie what we see on tv? right?

ofcourse if i have some experience

Quote Originally Posted by rockscorp View Post
    so i could make with sony vegas pro anymovie what we see on tv? right?
    IMHO - more or less, yes. But when it comes to "certain" aspects, compositing, then there ARE better platforms that with that. What VEgas does have, as it came FROM an audio background, is a very feature rich and easy audio component. Vegas is also very accepting of many different formats too.

ofcourse if i have some experience
    Ah, yes, quite true, you've never said a more truer word.

. . and I am still learning.

Cheers,

Grazie

what do you extacly mean with compositing? (english aint my mothers langugae)

and wich application is best for compositing?

thanks in regards

what do you extacly mean with compositing? (english aint my mothers langugae)

and wich application is best for compositing?
    As to "best" - dunno . . However, here's a link that will assist you just on so many many levels of your queries.

What is Compositing? : Multimedia 101 Podcast

Cheers

Grazie

Blog Entries

Hi Tim

i told in begin of my message that i have a pro version maybe you dint see it or just read onder the first line...
    Yes, you did. And I read it twice and STILL decided you had Movie Studio. Stupid me! (But I wish I knew someone who'd give me $500 worth of software as a present that I don't even bother to look at for four months)

You have a GREAT platform to start editing on. I'd suggest you work with it. As you gain experience you may find there are things you can't do as easily in Vegas as in other packages (which you'll learn from discussions). Then you can make a more informed choice about either sticking with Vegas or moving.

Incidentally most people use different packages for different tasks. It's not unusual for people who use Vegas for editing to use Adobe After Effects for compositing and Boris for graphics or titles (for example).

And, as has been said many times here, there's no such thing as a stupid question - the stupid thing would be NOT to ask.
    Tim

having a good hardware and software is just a half work .... or maybe even nothing without creative ideas and much learning
    some time you lucky with rich friends....

are there any good tutorials for vegas?

i search google but i find only about 7 of them...

a stupid question is to ask.... if you dont ask than you stay stupid your own..... couze you stil dont have answer on a stupid question..... simply a question is always for ask....

thanks in advance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast