Thread: Need help creating presentation (video)

Default Need help creating presentation (video)

Hi Everyone,

I am completely new to Video Editing/Coding/Compressing/Uncompressing/Etc.

I am a computer engineer working as a web developer. NEVER worked with video before! There is a new project that needs to be completed at work, and I would love to tackle it.

Basically I would need to rip some chapters from a DVD, change their order and create a presentation.

Depending on how complex all this is, the final product should be one of the following (from easiest to hardest):

1. Create a new DVD with sound/video from the chapters ripped. This should be made so it loops continuously. (should run on any DVD player)
    2. Create a video that will run on a computer using the ripped chapters that loops continuously with interactive menu.
    3. Create the same DVD of Step 1, but with interactive menu. (should run on any DVD player)

The project seems to be simple enough but I have never done it before. I would need help with the following:

1. What tools (software/hardware) do I need to rip chapters from a DVD?
    2. I am 99% sure that the content of the DVD is not protected, but what should I use if it is not?
    3. I am planning on using Adobe Premiere to re-arrange/shorten chapters. Would this be the right tool? Do I need any particular version?
    4. What software should I use to add interactive menus? (Not family type of menus but something more high end).
    5. What software should I use to finally package the movie (DVD format & Computer).

Thanks a lot in advance!

Any other info/help you can provide, that I might have forgotten to ask, will be very welcome!

LAM.

I have to confess that, from what you've said so far, what you are trying to do is illegal. Ripping a DVD is breaking copyright, pure and simple.

Now you might considet hat ripping a DVD is a bit like speeding in that everyone does it and what's the harm once in a while. The point is, it's not legal and we do not condone it here so we won't tell you how to do it.

If, however, you have permission to use the footage then go back to the poeple who made the DVD and ask for original footage. They should have it and it would be much better for your project.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply.

There is nothing ILEGAL in the project that I need to do. It is a DVD that was developed in-house and the original footage is nowhere to be found. As a matter of fact, this DVD is the only "Back up" copy we have.

Also, let me add, that the presentation that I need to put together is also for employees and not for the general public (not even clients).

I did not mean to engage in any illicit activity nor seek advice for it.

Having said that, I will still appreciate some advice how to do it.

I hope this does not violate any rules in this forum.

Thanks again for answering my post!

Take care,

LAM.

If as you stated the DVD is an in house production please note the following post within this category to accomplish what you want to do it is titled "Editing existing DVD".

what you are trying to do is illegal. it breaks the copyright

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lolmeo View Post
    How? The op has stated IT'S HIS OWN footage. It's ill informed posts like this that hack me off. I WISH people would read threads properly before shooting their mouth off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lolmeo View Post
    I think that was one of those random posts from a spammer.

I've used this to rip dvd's before, it's actually very good. Download Free DVD Ripper - Freeware Download List

use any version of premiere IF YOU KNOW HOW otherwise use something simpler like movie maker, learning how to use premiere for one project is pointless in my opinion.

you could probably use nero vision express to make the looping one without the menu.

design the menu in premiere and make the dvd in Adobe encore. it'd probably be better to get a professional to do it if you want that "professional" look, but if it's in house just use nero.