Thread: Sony HDR-FX1 with a Sennheiser me66 k6

Default Sony HDR-FX1 with a Sennheiser me66 k6

I just picked up a Beachtek and a Sennheiser me66 k6 microphone kit for my FX1. I've got microphone holder for the Z1U and I've attached it to my FX1 so I can have an onboard mic.

The problem is this microphone picks up everything. If I zoom in and out I can hear it on playback. If I accidently touch the cord running from my microphone to the beachtek XLR input, I can hear it very good. It shouldn't be so sensitive where I would hear noises just by touching the cord.

Is there a sensitivity setting on my camera or on the microphone? I don't want to use a boom pole because I don't have an assistant to follow me.

Thanks

Blog Entries

These noises are rarely a problem and will likely be swamped by your subject. If it is a concern then use a noise gate in post.

Blog Entries

Another thought - Do not use auto levels on the camera - this will hugely increase the pick up of tiny noises.

do you know where the auto levels are in the FX1?

The only area I can find on audio has 2 questions

Mic: The mic that comes with it or external Mic
    Wind: on and Off

I tried the Wind setting turned "on" and it didnt make much of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by drPHk View Post
    I just picked up a Beachtek and a Sennheiser me66 k6 microphone kit for my FX1. I've got microphone holder for the Z1U and I've attached it to my FX1 so I can have an onboard mic.

The problem is this microphone picks up everything. If I zoom in and out I can hear it on playback. If I accidently touch the cord running from my microphone to the beachtek XLR input, I can hear it very good. It shouldn't be so sensitive where I would hear noises just by touching the cord.

Is there a sensitivity setting on my camera or on the microphone? I don't want to use a boom pole because I don't have an assistant to follow me.

Thanks
    This is interesting. I have exactly the same camera with exactly the same mic. I use a Rycote Softie to hold it on the camera though and not a Z1 mix holder. I'd love you to describe exactly what settings you have and how you are connectign themic to teh camera throguh what input etc etc. All settings please so we can see where we might be different. Do check your audio setting sin the menu and let me know what they are. Make sure it's set to 'External Mic' and not 'Line'.

make sure you have ab atterty in the K6 unit as I do not think the beeachtek sends phantom power through.

I've never encountered this problem either using manual levels or auto. btw the manual auto audio setting sare described on page 36 of your FX1 manual. Sorry, but it;s easier for me to point you to a page than to try to describe it again in my own words. Basically though, it's a switch and a wheel at the back of the camera by the 'menu' button.

Do get back to me.

Alan

I got a Rode hotshoe shockmount Rode SM3 Shockmount for Shotgun Microphones at DV247.COM which I use with my Audio Technica stereo mic and it significantly reduces the handling noise on my Cannon HV30.

Don't know if that helps any...

One more quick question. You don;t have your mic connected to theyellow jack plug socket on the camera do you? I know it says 'audio' on it but it;s the wrong one. Open up the other little flap underneath it and look for the socket labelled 'line in' or something. use that one.

Just thought I'd check. I did that once and I thyink the symptoms were similar.