Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Premiere with what ?

Post Adobe Premiere with what ?

Hi.
    As a n00b I have knowledge of video editing.

Now, I really want to know - what computer configuration I should have, so I can use Adobe Premiere for video editing, and I already have DV firewire so I can capture my video content.

Would 2GB of RAM is good enough, I don't know, I'm confused.

Some say the video capture card is irrelevant, some say I need it. Again - confusion.

And if I need it, what video capture card I should have to work unlimited and without any blocks again, with Adobe Premiere.

I need this so I can make some amateur music videos, commercials, short films an so on ...

Thanks in advance !

Blog Entries

Any modern PC less than 2 or 3 years old will generally be fine for video editing but the more powerful the better if you want to keep rendering times low. Two gig of ram will suffice. Lots of hard drive space is advised with a seperate drive for storing video on. If your camera is HDV then you will need more power ( at least 2 cores) as this video is less friendly to computers than DV video.

Video editing is one of the few things, as with games, that will really thrash any systewm so reliablity is important. I usually advise against any sort of overclocking for this reason.

You will only need a capture card if you wish to edit analogue sources such as vhs video or old old cameras.

You capture video and sound data via firewire with ALL tape based cameras. The data produced by tape cameras is superiour to hard drives, dvd, or SD card cameras. It is less compressed and far easier for editing apps to chew on.

I am not sure what you mean by ' blocks ' ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post

I am not sure what you mean by ' blocks ' ?
    I mean, not freaking out when I move the slider in Adobe Premiere to view my video.

I see now, but on one of my computers (2GB RAM, 180GB Hard, Dual Core CPU) I have troubles even installing Premiere and not to speak while I'm editing it. When I move the slider to view the video it moves so slow, with a delay that freaks me out.

But as you say so, I'm sure a full format will do the magic. Or not ?

Only a quad core and 4 gb ram, plus 1 gb ram on the grapahics card has given me true real time stuff in Premiere working with HD, I can twiddle the wheel thingy to my hearts content and no hang ups. Also bear in mind that fast hard drive is as important as capacity, so avoid externals as a 'scratch' drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hill View Post
    Only a quad core and 4 gb ram, plus 1 gb ram on the grapahics card has given me true real time stuff in Premiere working with HD, I can twiddle the wheel thingy to my hearts content and no hang ups. Also bear in mind that fast hard drive is as important as capacity, so avoid externals as a 'scratch' drive.
    Wait, I may not introduced my problem correctly.

I want to work in Adobe Premiere on Win XP. So, I heard that XP as an operative system, cannot tolerate 4GB RAM.

So, how am I suppose to work with Premiere with 4GB RAM on XP when itself does not tolerate it.

You guys are working in Vista maybe, or Mac OS ?

In spite of having a physical 4gb installed it does seem to only recognise 3.5gb of it:

But this seems to be the only anomally, it all functions fine and it knocks the comp I'm writing this reply on into a cocked hat!

As you can see I'm using XP.

Blog Entries

As with all 32 bit os 4 gig is the limit.

It wont all show as you expect due to the way the PC apportions the ram.

And the firewire will do the trick, I do not need any extra capture cards ?

Nope, firewire is all you need.

unless, as Mark alrewady said, if you want to capture your VHS tapes and stuff. Then you'll need an analogue to digital converter, otherwise known as a capture card.

For capturing stuff shot from your camera a firewire port and lead are all you need.

not likely as a noob you'll be playing with HD. More likely HDV but you won't NEED four cores for that although it would be handy. For example , I edit HDV on a single core 3GHz P4 and can scruib and edit in real time on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast