Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm within the aspect limits of the render and it is telling me I'm not!!!

Default I'm within the aspect limits of the render and it is telling me I'm not!!!

Hey there, I have Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8.0 and I recently put together a small 4-minute movie using various clips from different computer games and I'm rendering it as a .avi with a custom frame size of 1280 by 800. But every time I set this frame size and hit OK to exit out of the "Custom Template - Video for Windows" dialogue box I get the following error:
    "Vegas Movie Studio does not support output of frame sizes greater than 1440 (width) by 1080 (height). The template you selected has been removed from the template list."
    My frame size is clearly within the stated bounds, and further testing indicated that the error will come up every time the width size is more than 800, or every time the height is more than 600. I can render the video at 800x600 but I can't render it at 801x600 or 800x601.

I do not understand at all what is causing this error and it is EXTREMELY frustrating because I am trying to get this small clip out to commemorate a special occasion for me and a group of friends, and if I render it out at 800x600 the quality is horrendous.

Help me please!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlast111 View Post
    . . and I'm rendering it as a .avi with a custom frame size of 1280 by 800.
    Please do me a favour and do this for me. NB: I have VMS4, so it is older:

1] Close VMS

2] Open VMS with a NEW project

3] Go: File > Project Properties > "Match Media Settings" ( that's what I have in VMS4)> Navigate to YOUR media you WANT to work on and select it > this will return you to the "Project Properties" with the media properties filled in.

4] Now do a SCREEN GRAB of what you discover, bring that Screen Grab back here.

Cheers

Grazie

I tried toying around with this before as well but it also won't let me change the width/height to anything larger than 800x600 =(

OK, you're wanting to create a 1280x800 which is a 1.6:1 ratio. Your FRAPS thing is 1.3:1 . Why are you doing that? Wouldn't that distort your work? I don't understand this? Please explain?

Grazie

Idk I have a friend who uses the same size monitor as me and uses those settings and told me it's an amazing way to get good quality videos. Previously all the videos I made were always super blurry. I didn't even know what ratio I was using but I guess this question turns into, "How then would I render this as a clear quality video that is perhaps of larger size?"

Blog Entries

Expanding 512 to 1440 and 384 to 800 is going to result in super blurry. It's simply digital zoom and, as Grazie states, is not even the same ratio on the horizontal and vertical axes.
    My guess is that if your friend is getting good quality, he's starting with better quality source.

None of this answers your original question though. Sorry!
    Tim

Yeah I honestly don't know. We both use the same recording software (Fraps, which records at half screen size) and we both have the same size monitor. I might play at a different resolution than him though. We both play using a Widescreen resolution but I use 1680x1050 (Widescreen) and I think he plays at 1280x800 (Widescreen) which would be why he told me to set my video size to 1280x800, but he said it should work even if I play at 1680x1050.

All the footage I shot, since it is old, I'm pretty sure was all on my old monitor when I played in resolution 1024x768. That would be why the video properties are 512 by 384, because my video recording software records at half resolution. Even so I should be able to at least render this video at 1024x768, which I cannot.

Ah! I think I've got it!!

1280x800 - is this what your friend is asking you to render OR set your monitor VIDEO size? Is THAT it? Now, I can set my LCD reso to 1280x800. Is that it?

Grazie

I was trying to render, this screenshot should clear things up.

This is the "Custom Template" dialogue box under "Render As..." and I was trying to create a .avi video that, when rendered, would be 1280x800. This is the dialogue box where my error comes up. After I click OK here, the "Vegas Movie Studio does not support output of frame sizes greater than 1440 (width) by 1080 (height). The template you selected has been removed from the template list" error comes up. But after what you've said about my aspect ratios and things getting distorted I'm not sure that 1280x800 is even a good goal to shoot for anymore.

EDIT: I rendered the video at 512x384 to see if I would get a clear video, and it seems like it is fairly clear or at least clearer than when I tried 800x600 because that was the largest I could go lol. It is just way too small to be able to see certain pieces of text. If I could render it at 1024x768 I think it might actually help my quality.
    Last edited by Deadlast111; 10-07-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Blog Entries

I would suggest that thew pixel count is a complete red herring here - I bet your renders look crap cos of a low bit rate in the xvid settings. Anything less than 2 mbit/ sec will look poor.

And btw - there is NO POINT in rendering at a higher rez than the original - none - zilch - nada.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast