Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how can thing effect be acheived

Default how can thing effect be acheived

i know how to do the rotoscoping and everything but its that effect right at the end when the guy goes up into the air and then the person fades away but the image stays there.. how can this be done in after effects
    Last edited by Braden; 10-08-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Are you referring to someone standing on the ground and then they fly off into the sky like Superman? I don't understand what the 'thing' effect is?

watch that video. that was suppose to be in there but i must have forgot about it

At a guess, they've green screened the skaters and then just composited them in multiple times into the bg. The fade at the end is just a feathered linear wipe.

Simply a case of multiple copies of the same footage, each one carefully masked, on top of each other. The subtle panning of the camera was a cool twist though. Footage must have been digitall zoomed and panned 'in post' aftre the compositting was done.

I'm off to find out what effects house did that ad.

This video is certainly interesting. I will have to figure out the fading stuff at the end in AE... Will try to get back with an answer when the workload is lesser...
    Last edited by rotoartist; 10-09-2008 at 05:52 AM.

its called rotoscoping.. they masked the person skating vary carefully and then copied the layer as many times as they wanted to see the guy.. there is a filter called ECHO on after effects taht can sorta do this effect but its not as clear

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    its called rotoscoping..
    I would do this using a greenscreen rather than roto. It's simply easier and likely to produce better results. Roto is always a last resort and when you're dumping $100-200k on a commercial you can afford to control the environment. Just sayin'

Respectfully, I'm not at all convinced that green screening is the best way to achiev this effect. Ot at least I wouldn;t even try to green screen it. It's a rotoscoping exercise pure and simple. My reasoning is that you want the skater on top of the actual background he is skating on. You are not changing what is behind him. Also, trying to get a skater to perform those tricks on a green screened backdrop is just asking too much. Grindsing the skteboard on any green screen backdrop would rip it to shreds.

However, even though it is a rotoscoping exercise (in my opinion) it's not a nasty one. your mask only needs to be pixel accurate where two instances of the skater overlap. Also, there are good techniques to make the job less painless as well.

Just my 2p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast