Thread: Laptop spec

Default Laptop spec

Hi,
    I am a newbie to the forum, I have a Sony TRV245 digital 8 camcorder. For certain reasons I am constrained to use a laptop for video editing. I am planning to buy a new laptop. I do not intend doing heavy editing but am certainly interested in capturing my videos onto DVD without lost frames, etc. I have identified a laptop that fits in with the general requirements for video editing.( ..specs at Acer 1356 LMi at click here).
    My only concern is the IDE ATA100 hard drive which is a 4200 rpm drive. Is it suffecient for capture of video without dropping frames ? Would appreciate any comments..
    Thanks
    John

Hello.... any firendly soul out there ..maybe Ive asked something stoooopid......

Blog Entries

Not a stooopid question at all And one gets asked quite a lot! Laptops tend to come with 5200RPM drives... and many people that complain of dropped frames are trying to capture to 5200RPM drives Now whether this is because older/lower spec drives tend to have 5200 drives or it's just the drive itself that's causing the problems is something I'm not sure of!

When I get the time (and a new 4-pin to 4-pin firwewire cable!) I'll test and post the results

Thanks Marc.... will wait for an update ...
    Cheers

I would like to know the answer to this as well. I’m looking at replacing my antiquated desktop with a Toshiba Portege M200. It comes with a 5400 drive, but I could upgrade to a 7200. Is it worth the extra money?

James

sjohn, 4200 rpm is definitely not recommended. Even 5400 rpm drives that used to be standard in desktop PCs sometimes don't make the grade. It's not just about access time but sustained data transfer rates as well. Please check the manufacturer of your video editing software as they usually post minimum technical specs/recommended technical specs (including recommended spindle speed of the hard disk). With 7200 rpm pretty standard today and 10,000 rpm SATAs becoming so cheap it's really time that laptop manufacturers and manufacturers of 2.5" disks got their act together.

I don't know if this article I wrote helps...

how about if you bought an external harddrive with 7200 rpms? Won't that help?