Thread: Anybody use Final Cut on a MacBook?

Question Anybody use Final Cut on a MacBook?

I'm currently running Final Cut Express HD on an iBook G4. Although it runs ok, it's a bit slow, and I'm finding that as the laptop gets older, I'm running out of new software I can run (an example being Aperture 2, which won't run on anything pre-G5), so I'm looking to update my computer.

As much as I would love a shiny new MacBook Pro, I really can't afford it, and so it looks like I'm going to be going for the bog standard MacBook. I read <a href="">here</a> that Final Cut Studio isn't supported on a MacBook. Does anybody know how badly it runs? I know I'm only running Express at the moment, but I might be upgrading in future, and don't want to do it then find out I can't run the software.

Long and short of it is, will I be ok with a MacBook (and it's slightly shoddy graphics card), or should I save up for the next year or so and get a Pro?

Default final cut and mac

do not try running FCs2 on anything less than a mac book pro. period.

Are you speaking from experience, or is that just an opinion? It's just that I've done quite a bit of reading that suggests otherwise - the only thing the MacBook really lacks against the Pro is it's inbuilt graphics, which despite appearances, actually has nothing to do with rendering or graphics in FCP, because that's all CPU based (which is virtually identical in both the MB and the MBP)

Default Mac vs Pro

Friends found the Mac unsatisfactory, but you may have a more powerful graphics card or simply don't need the extra power. I watched a Mac being used with FCP 6 and vowed to take the advice of colleagues, who had no axe to grind in the matter. Cheap is expensive in the long run is a maxim that has served me well, because for me it's almost always turned out to be true.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

FCP minimum specs from fcp web site,

" A Macintosh computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, or Intel Xeon processor "

In my expirience the minimum specs for apps are far too optimistic. It says core duo minimum so that'll mean 4 cores if you actually want the app to be smooth - probably. And I am guessing these specs are baed on l top perf - a d top is about 2 times as powerful as a l top with the same processor.

I would suggest as a general statement of principle that if you can lift your laptop without help it probably isnt up for video editing.
    Last edited by Mark W; 10-05-2008 at 12:02 PM.