Thread: How to add time stamp in a video

Default How to add time stamp in a video

I have a jvc everio camera that records files on an internal hard drive in .mod format. It also creates a .moi file for each video.

I suppose that the .moi file is the one who keeps the time stamp of the video. I've been trying for months to convert those files into mpg or avi and uniting them together so I can see the date and time in the bottom right corner of the image but with no luck.

So if anyone knows how to add the time stamp on a video please tell how or at least tell me a program that could do that for me.

are you PC or MAC? Most video editing programs have some kind of setting in the capture menu which allows you to burn the timecode onto the image. I know how to do it in Final Cut, but that's not goign to be much use to you if you're PC based. Try having a look round in the capture settings of whatever program you're using

I copy my videos just by copy pasting them into the computer. I use a PC not MAC. I do not capture the videos with a certain program. As i said i copy them using windows as they are saved onto the camera's hard drive. Moreover the camera does not have any settings to allow me to save the videos on the camera's hard drive with the timecode onto the image. So i would like someone to recommend me a program that will insert the timecode onto the image. It would be ok is he program would insert the timestamp as a subtitle.

I don't know any programs for that, but you may be able to import your video from the camera using whatever program you use to edit, as opposed to just dragging and dropping them onto your hard drive. If you can do it that way, then like I said before, try looking in the capture menus. If not, then I'm afraid I can't help, and it looks like you're going to have to google it.

But using the capture menu wouldn't mean that i will have to wait and record the video in real time (if a video has 2 hours, i'll have to wait 2 hours to import it into my computer)? i would prefer another way but i guess if there isn't i will have to try like that... anyway thanks for your time

Default Time Stamp into video

This is a bit of a complicated hack, but I have done this and it works.

I use Windows Media Encoder to capture the video of an online stopwatch. I can then drop this video in as a Video Track 2 in the corner.

Once you have captured the stopwatch video one time, you can use it for multiple videos. A lot of work up front, but it can be used over and over.

Media Encoder
    Make Videos By Capturing Screens with Windows Media Encoder

Use online stopwatch program such as:
    Online Stopwatch

I hope this helps.
    Richard

p.s. After I wrote this, I realized that if you are trying to enter the timestamp (date and time) of the original video, that is a different problem.