Thread: Is Vegas the way to go?

Default Is Vegas the way to go?

Hey everyone,

I am somewhat new to video editing, and have been using Windows Movie Maker. But my latest videos have been shot using Aiptek HD cameras, which store files in .MOV format. Windows Movie Maker seems to have trouble with these files, and I'm not sure if it the fault of the editing software or my computer just being slow.

That said, I would like to find a new editing software that will allow me to work easier with these HD .MOV files. I have heard lots of people talking about this Vegas program, but I know nothing about it. Do any of you think this program would be a solution to my problems? Any other suggestions are appreciated, too!

Many thanks,

- Dave
    Last edited by todreamnomore; 05-28-2010 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by todreamnomore View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am somewhat new to video editing, and have been using Windows Movie Maker. But my latest videos have been shot using Aiptek HD cameras, which store files in .MOV format. Windows Movie Maker seems to have trouble with these files, and I'm not sure if it the fault of the editing software or my computer just being slow.

That said, I would like to find a new editing software that will allow me to work easier with these HD .MOV files. I have heard lots of people talking about this Vegas program, but I know nothing about it. Do any of you think this program would be a solution to my problems? Any other suggestions are appreciated, too!

Many thanks,

- Dave
    Sony Vegas does handle .mov files quite well. For a Windows based computer, Vegas is the best solution. However,if you are going to get really serious about .mov production you might want to consider buying a MAC and using Final Cut. I have considered buying a MAC with Final Cut preinstalled, but I can't bring myself to laying out the $5,000+ for a computer and software system I have no familiarity with.

down load the trial and see you how you get on...

Quote Originally Posted by todreamnomore View Post
    So how much does Vegas cost? And are there different versions of it to chose from?

-Dave
    Here are 4 versions for you: Sony Creative Software - Vegas Pro, Vegas Movie Studio, and Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition

Along with a comparison table:
    Sony Creative Software - Vegas Pro 8 - Vegas Family Comparison

I'll invite you to use your browser to discover prices -

Grazie