Thread: Canon HF100

1. Default Canon HF100

Hello

I am thinking about getting the Canon HF100 but hoped someone might be usuing this camera already so that I can form an opion on the quality of the playback. I like the idea of SD cards and no hard drive to go wrong. Am I going to be bowled over by the picture quality played on a HD tv. If someone suggests an alternative I would be interested, I would even be interested in a secondhand camera suggestion...two years old and the camera is four models dated !! The camera is to be used for ameature home movies but later I would also like to do some editing.
    My filming experience so far is on a 10 year old JVC hi 8.

Thanks for any advice.

Blog Entries

Yes compared to your old hi 8 I am sure you will be impressed.

But, a couple of things you might like to reflect on - I dont think this cam has a v finder - big mistake - you may not often need it but when you do it might piss you off hugely.

AVCHD - this cameras recording codec - produces data that is really bad to edit on - many packages struggle and you need a VERY fast PC.

You would be better going for the Canon HV-30, a high def mini dv camcorder, it costs a bit more but the picture quality and ease of connecting it to a computer for editing leaves the HF miles behind.

4. Default

Thanks very much for the advice. I am happy to take others advice about picture quality and editing. HV30 it is then, I wonder if I leave it a couple of months the HV30 might drop in price when a new all singing Canon is introduced.......

More than likely it will drop over the coming months, keep checking back every few weeks between now and the end of January 2009. I don't like that AVCHD either as I associate it with making videos for YouTube and not much else.

Blog Entries

I think Guru has an HV30 and he rates it highly - and we all know how hard he is to impress...

I have the Canon HF10 and have found the main problem is it's lack of a view finder as for the quality I did a 2 camera shoot with a friend with a Sony HDV camera, same resolution as the HF10 and the video was indistinguishable from either camera, apart from in the panning shots, this is were the AVCHD struggles, Canon have just release the HF11 with a higher bitrate probably to overcome this short coming, I did a test and put it on vimeo.com/1570706 it is only to show how the video goes soft on a pan or if there is water movement at high and low bitrates. don't judge the camera on what you see it is only a rough test and is down converted to 1280x720, Vimeo then re-encodes to 20fps. I think one big plus for the HF10 is I downloaded 1 hr of Video in 20mins and have no trouble editing it, you do need a fast computer, the one I'm using is a Intel Core2 Duo 3GHz with 2GB ram running XP, my friend took 1hr to down load 1hr from tape though firwire on his Apple 2.2 dual core, and stuggles editing it with Imovie. so I'm happy with my HF10.

8. Default

Thank very much all for the help and advice. I'll compare prices again in a week or two. Just of out interested would anyone notice the difference between picture quality on either of these and a Canon/Sony 3k camera if it was just played back on a home HD tele...