Thread: Choose right compressor..that is the question

1. Exclamation Choose right compressor..that is the question

Yes this can be applyable on almost every software...video converter,
    im getting sick of never understanding what the individual compression codecs means and are intend to be used for, cause obviolsy not converting

im talking about when you shall choose the output compressor in that list in all converter softs
    it shows same choices everytime (yes perhaps cause thats the codec you have installed in your system moron) yes but how do i differ for example

Divx(C) 6.8 YV12 decoder

from

Divx 6.8 Codec (2 Logical CPUs)

and how should i know which gives smallest output size between

WMVideo advanced Encoder DMO
    and
    WMVideo 9 Encoder DMO

cause that is what its all about, it seem to be hughe difference what the output size becomes depending on this codec choice, one of this indie-codecs(R) gave output over 1 Gb on 30 sec so i feeled i wanted stopp the operation, and some other indie codec instead worked in really slow Mb's...but

...the issue in the end stil becomes that the ouput becomes bigger than the input a bit to often thath or it will stuck on 0 % and never complete, which indicates a bad choice i bett?
    yes i lower the framerate if i can from 29.5 to say..25 often, that would give less size i think, but no

2. The input can for example be 415 mb MPG 1

I wanna convert it to a avi i think? cause i want it to end up on around 215 mb please thats all i know
    but no codec choice seem to be the right to achieve something near it, atleast i have not identified him
    so i want your advice
    what is the standard codec choices for inputs and outputs with avi & mpg?
    no i dont even know which gives less output-size between avi or mpg and vise versa! so i cant really choose which format i shall go for as output yet, so just give me all combinations please that can go from 415 mb down to 215 mb lol with 25 fps instead of 29.5?

(mpg 1 and wmv dont reveal its codec in "video inspector" so i have no idea what is good for it?)
    Last edited by Kloppstock; 09-29-2008 at 03:01 PM.

2. Default

Whas my above post to messy?

im having difficulties to stay away from my philosophy to lay down all the cards on the table at the same time while i can remember them, and allso answer on predictions what you will ask in 50 turn-future stepps

if you have any questions i can try and re-explain it sepparate..