Thread: Sony Cinescore worth it?

1. Default Sony Cinescore worth it?

Hello,

I've just purchased Sony Cinescore from Amazon to run alongside Sony Vegas Pro 8 but am having trouble finding a retailer in the UK that sells additional theme packs. Does anyone know where I can safely buy some more theme packs - the lack of a retailer over here is making me think perhaps the packs aren't that good or necessary. Does anyone else use Cinescore and if so could you tell me what's it like, is it worth buying additional themes?

Thanks

Blog Entries

I use it. Whilst you can create a lot of variations and working hard can really pay off, I have to say that I often struggle to find the right theme. It all seems a bit overkill percussion based - even on the low intensities. It also doesn't provide you with the sort of control I feel you need - for example you can only change intensity/mood whatever at the END of a musical section which may be seven bars away. Yes there are good "safe"musical reasons for this, but carefully done there is no reason why a chorus shouldn't change dramatically in intensity mid way. Futhermore,you cannot change the sequence of the "sections".

Consequently I find myself creating a Cinescore piece then chopping it up and moving around on the Vegas timeline (Grazie even posted that he'd experimented with putting different versions of the same sections on different tracjks on the timeline for much more flexibility)

However, I've pretty much jumped ship and gone the SmartSound route. The variety that can be produced from one "theme" is nothing like the variety available within Cinescore, but the amount of control (without jumping through the hoops I've described above) is far greater. Also smartsound allows you to buy online single tracks so you don't need to fork out for a whole theme pack if you want just that one novelty tune.

To answer your question about theme packs - I've ordered mine directly from the Sony site. Always had good service and shipping reasonable at $10 (unlike Smartsound who put me off buying more with their $20 charge.
    Tim

3. Default

Many thanks for those thoughts Tim; certainly food for thought. I'll let you know how I get on

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    However, I've pretty much jumped ship and gone the SmartSound route. The variety that can be produced from one "theme" is nothing like the variety available within Cinescore, but the amount of control (without jumping through the hoops I've described above) is far greater. Also smartsound allows you to buy online single tracks so you don't need to fork out for a whole theme pack if you want just that one novelty tune.
    I too use the SmartSound route for the same reasons.