Thread: Sony HVR Z1E V's Sony XDCAM PMW-EX1

1. Default Sony HVR Z1E V's Sony XDCAM PMW-EX1

OK I am looking to buy a new video camera, want to go HD... I am not overly technical as to whats best... but the two I am looking at are as follows... opinions please

Sony HVR-Z1E HD
    PurelyGadgets.co.uk - Sony Digital Camcorders - Sony HVR-Z1P Professional HDV Camcorder (Black)

Sony XDCAM PMW-EX1
    PurelyGadgets.co.uk - Sony Digital Camcorders - Sony XDCam PMW-EX1 Professional Camcorder

I shoot content mainly for online stuff, but may move into other production such as DVD... these cameras might be a overkill... but want to get something that produces some real nice high end content.

Z1 vs EX1, obviously the EX1 is superior, i know, i own an EX1.
    EX1, better in low light,
    better audio controls (easier access),
    workflow, memory card vs tape, no comparison.
    The price of media, tapes being cheap, memory cards just as cheap now that the EX1 can have a firmware upgrade which allows it to use sd cards, i'm using my EX1 with a 12 memory card and offloading the cards with a 5 card reader.

For producing dvd's, you'll get a better sd picture from hd footage, than sd from sd footage.

Paul.

Hi Paul

Can you give me more details about how you're using SD cards with the EX1? Obviously the cards won't go in the SxS slots on the camera - is there some kind of SD recorder you can tie onto the camera?

many thanks

James

I went from a Z1 to a EX1

Aswell as the things Paul has mentioned....
    Higher resolution - the Z1 is HDV, not HD - subtle but imprtant difference
    A 'proper' focus ring - which stops at either end of the focus range - just like an SLR camera
    Expanded focus which works while recording - on the Z1 this only works in standby mode
    The ability to have an internal and external mic active at the same time
    Proper progressive recording
    Under cranking and over cranking for super duper slo mo, etc
    Loads more picture adjustments - although most of which I'll never touch
    2 zebra levels
    Much better LCD

The EX1 is a bit heavier than the Z1 and a bit more awkward to hand hold although the rotating grip helps. The EX1 uses a so-called 'rolling' shutter which has certain characteristics - eg if a camera flash goes off it will show as a light band across only part of the picture and VERY fast movement of the camera could result in a 'wobbly' look - but to be honest it's never been a problem for me. The Sony/Sandisk SxS cards are horrendously expensive but as Paul said you can now use certain SDHC cards - read this: KxS: SD as SxS by Guy Barwood

I don't know how releavnt the above is to you for what you'll be shooting and of course the EX1 is considerably more expensive than the Z1.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by JANNW10 View Post
    Hi Paul

Can you give me more details about how you're using SD cards with the EX1? Obviously the cards won't go in the SxS slots on the camera - is there some kind of SD recorder you can tie onto the camera?

many thanks

James
    You need to make sure that the EX1 or EX3 has the latest firmware, any models bought now should have the latest firmware, if not then either sony will install it or you can install it yourself, (if you can get the firmware), Once that's done you can then use an adaptor made by kensington, (kensington 7 in 1 media reader), basically it's a sdhc>express convertor/adaptor, shove a sdhc card into the adaptor, shove the adaptor into the camera, camera thinks it's got an sxs card...

Paul.

Blog Entries

I have briefly seen ex1 and z1 output side by side and it isnt really fair to comapre these cameras - thay are different beasts really.

The EX1 is much more expensive and as said above, it uses a superior method of compression at a higher bit rate.

Quote Originally Posted by up_north View Post
    I went from a Z1 to a EX1

Aswell as the things Paul has mentioned....
    Higher resolution - the Z1 is HDV, not HD - subtle but imprtant difference
    A 'proper' focus ring - which stops at either end of the focus range - just like an SLR camera
    Expanded focus which works while recording - on the Z1 this only works in standby mode
    The ability to have an internal and external mic active at the same time
    Proper progressive recording
    Under cranking and over cranking for super duper slo mo, etc
    Loads more picture adjustments - although most of which I'll never touch
    2 zebra levels
    Much better LCD

The EX1 is a bit heavier than the Z1 and a bit more awkward to hand hold although the rotating grip helps. The EX1 uses a so-called 'rolling' shutter which has certain characteristics - eg if a camera flash goes off it will show as a light band across only part of the picture and VERY fast movement of the camera could result in a 'wobbly' look - but to be honest it's never been a problem for me. The Sony/Sandisk SxS cards are horrendously expensive but as Paul said you can now use certain SDHC cards - read this: KxS: SD as SxS by Guy Barwood

I don't know how releavnt the above is to you for what you'll be shooting and of course the EX1 is considerably more expensive than the Z1.

Ian
    What si the subtle difference please?

HDV resolution is up to 1440x1080 - HD is 1920x1080.
    HDV data rate is up to 25mb/s - HD (on the EX1) is up to 35 mb/s

Also - the Z1 produces .m2t files after capture. Many people have difficulty handling these files (I did) and use an intermediate like Cineform for HD work. The EX1 files are .mp4 format and although they have to be exported to .mxf for many editing applications - those .mxf files seem much easier to work with.

Which leads into another difference - the EX1 cannot shoot in standard definition - nor can it downconvert when capturing - although the Sony Clip Browser application does now suppor this. The Z1 does this easily and very well.

Ian