Thread: Dedicated Hard Drive Question

Default Dedicated Hard Drive Question

Warning: Another 'newbie' question...

I took the plunge and purchased APP CS3. Of course, the program requires a "Dedicated 7200 RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD; SCSI disk subsystem preferred". My system currently has only one hard drive. (I'm assuming that the program will not allow me to edit video until I install the second drive.) How can I make sure that I purchase the correct drive, and meet the associated requirements?
    "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Jess Wunman View Post
    Warning: Another 'newbie' question...

I took the plunge and purchased APP CS3.
    I hope you kept the receipt if you bought it very recently. If you did then be aware that Adobe just anounced the CS4 version to be shipping at the end of October. You may find you are eliigible for a free upgrade. Odobe often do this for people who buy their s/w just before a new version comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess Wunman View Post
    Of course, the program requires a "Dedicated 7200 RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD; SCSI disk subsystem preferred". My system currently has only one hard drive. (I'm assuming that the program will not allow me to edit video until I install the second drive.) How can I make sure that I purchase the correct drive, and meet the associated requirements?
    You'll be just fine as you are. Extra drives will simply offer better performance that's all. IUt will not stop you editting right now.

Thanks Alan!

It's good to know that I can dive right in. I'll give it a shot. In the future, when I add a drive, how can I make sure that I do it right? (i.e. "...striped disk array storage (RAID 0)...")

Jess
    "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." - Oscar Wilde