Thread: Contraband

Default Contraband

Ok, here it is. My first (very) short film.

Wrote the script on Friday, shot it this morning.

Its shot on an old DV camera with only the camera mic and only ambient lighting.

You'll need to turn the sound up to hear the dialogue.

I'm planning on a better camera and sound equipment from santa.

Hope its not too painful for you

You know whats wrong with this video, its a pretty good effort, lots of rights going on here.

As a work around to getting the few spoken words you could have shot them as a close up, and left the scrunching of the bag off screen and silent.

Making movies straight out of a camera is a very good way to learn the craft.

What I will say there is nothing wrong with a 9 year old DV camera, it still seems to be working perfectly, hope you don't think that changing cameras will in any way fix the problems with the video.

Sad these days that stuff becomes old after a few years, and don't those big companies love us rushing out to buy more crap. Especially if it has a big HDV output, well thats just a invitation to throw your money away at the moment.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Quote Originally Posted by MrFluffy View Post
    Ok, here it is. My first (very) short film.

Wrote the script on Friday, shot it this morning.

Its shot on an old DV camera with only the camera mic and only ambient lighting.

You'll need to turn the sound up to hear the dialogue.

I'm planning on a better camera and sound equipment from santa.

Actually quite good for just a camera, ambient light, camcorder mic and all.

As rolloingstock said, nothing wrong with that camera. With the exception of the noise in the low-light shot, it looked good. Try using a different color temperature light to simulate moonlight to get around that. As for the sound, you will need external microphones or do an overdub of the voices in the post-production editing. Tell Santa to get you an external mic.

All in all, I give it 4 **** stars for originality and effort.

Rollingstock, Worddigger,

Thanks for your comments.

The compresssion was kind to the footage as the original is very, very noisy. I had wanted to use the camera to test matchmoving but the quality is so low that the matchmoving software cant get a really good track on it.

As for the sound. Even with an external mic (simple mono line in) there is a lot of hiss when the AGC switches in. There is no real control over this in the camera (it wasnt an expensive one even 9 years ago).

So to do what I want, short films with some VFX, I will need a new camera and one that takes a proper mic (xlr) and doesnt have AGC hiss.

Your feedback has encouraged me to continue, so thank you, its appreciated.

I think for my next outing I will do a silent movie