Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desert Rush-Hour

Default Desert Rush-Hour

My wife has been bugging me to do a video of her camel footage shot on her new HD camera. Today I was bored enough to convert the films to something my editor could handle and do it (desperation). These are camels grazing next to and inside the medium of a four-lane highway in the northern Kuwait desert about three miles from the Iraq border.

Have to say its the first camel video I have seen, and laugh at what is described as grazing...all I could see was sand, and lifeless vegetation.

For a camel video I give it 5 humps.....in a interesting part of the world..

On a more serious note I know for a fact that sometime these animals are used IED carriers.

improvised explosive device

Common locations for placing these bombs on the ground include animal carcasses, soft drink cans, and boxes. Typically they explode underneath or to the side of the vehicle to cause the maximum amount of damage; however, as vehicle armor was improved on military vehicles, insurgents began placing IEDs in elevated positions such as on camels, utility poles, or trees, in order to hit less protected areas.

So in knowing this the video could be transformed into which camel is the mad bomber..! this video with a few title changes cound have a totally different feel.

Also interesting to read you had to contend with HDV format, what did you use to convert the video to edit in a standard editing package..?
    These new HDV cameras are not backwards compatable, have yet to find one which plugs into a miniDV camera, usually they have no firewire or any high level video out, that is unless I am completely missing something.

I am totally against the use of the HDV format, to me its all smoke and mirrors and basically put in place to keep products selling by the big companies.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstock View Post
    Have to say its the first camel video I have seen, and laugh at what is described as grazing...all I could see was sand, and lifeless vegetation.

For a camel video I give it 5 humps.....in a interesting part of the world..

Also interesting to read you had to contend with HDV format, what did you use to convert the video to edit in a standard editing package..?
    These new HDV cameras are not backwards compatable, have yet to find one which plugs into a miniDV camera, usually they have no firewire or any high level video out, that is unless I am completely missing something.

I am totally against the use of the HDV format, to me its all smoke and mirrors and basically put in place to keep products selling by the big companies.
    Yes, that is about all that is out there...some scrub and lots and lots of sand. There are still quite a few unexploded devices lurking in the sand, leftover from Gulf War I, and once in a while one of these poor creatures find one. It is not pretty. As for the comment concerning IEDs, these camels were in Kuwait. There are no suicide bombers in Kuwait, only suicide drivers - smile!

I totally agree with your feelings on the consumer cam HDV format. In order to even use the scenes from my wife's little toy I had to convert all the raw footage into a gigantic widescreen .avi file. I use Sony Vegas on a windows laptop which is Pentium 4 with 2 Gig RAM. This HD format totally constipates the program. I hate that camera. It did, however, come in handy for the Indy scene in the Digital Director piece...too bad I didn't drop it during a take - snicker!

Thanks for the reply on how to deal with HDV, seems that Sony Vegas is a very handy package, I'm still on Premiere 6.5, bacically exposes me as being totally behind and very lazy to learn new programs.....all this may reveal my age.

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstock View Post
    Thanks for the reply on how to deal with HDV, seems that Sony Vegas is a very handy package, I'm still on Premiere 6.5, bacically exposes me as being totally behind and very lazy to learn new programs.....all this may reveal my age.
    Well, I'm 58 years old. I cut my audio editing teeth on 1/4 inch tape with a grease pencil and razor blade in the early 60s. I cut my video editing teeth on 2 inch RCA and Ampex quad machines (long before there was any frigging editing software) in the 70s. Tell ME about being old - smile!

Never seen so many Camels in my life...Cheeky music...Short and sweet

Its surprising what boredom can drive a man to do But I know the feeling well, especially if I have just bought a new editing package.

Now, onto the merits of your dromedary production. I liked the music and I liked the camels, but your hands were tied with the lack of diversity in the shots. Then, about half way through I started to imagine, what would the camels be saying to each other if you had speech bubbles linked to their thoughts. Now that could be quite amusing.

There is a program on UK tv at the moment which features clips of animals with actors voicing over matched to the movement of the animals mouths. Its very funny when they get it right. Some of your clips would fit right into that program.

On Desert stuff, today I woke up to another rare Sydney dust storm, really weird to see red dust storms here.

They were touted as a once in 100 year event, well this is two in a week now.

Blog Entries

Indeed they must be rare. Your red dust storm even made the BBC London radio news!
    Tim

Hi Tim..

Would you believe we had a second dust storm, not so intense last Saturday, so that's 2 in a week.

All we need is a few camels and you may as well call Sydney a desert.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast