Thread: Please help!!!

Default Please help!!!

Hi,

I have justy finished my holiday video on Sony Vegas Pro 8, i have rendered the movie, then when trying to burn to disc this error box keeps showing

'SFMMCX'(17)
    "-(2)
    ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S YF61-(0)
    Module Line 0
    This operation is not supported by the drive.

Can anyone tell me the way forwarde

Thanks in advance,

Caroline

Blog Entries

What exactly are you trying to burn? And how are you trying to burn it (ie what procedure are you following)?
    At a hunch you're trying to burn a DVD using the Tools | Burn Disc | something or other???
    Tim

Hi,

I am trying to burn my rendered project, yes, i am usingth tools, burn disc, video cd, can you advise how to burn to dvd.

Caroline

Blog Entries

Sony Vegas doesn't burn DVDs.
    Just when you thought you were nearly there you discover you've a whole new world to learn - DVD Authoring! (Sorry)
    Did you get Sony Vegas Pro + Sony DVD Architect? If so, you've already got an authoring program. Fire it up and get reading the help. It looks complex , but creating a simple single move DVD is a cinch really (that's what you want to do right now, isn't it? So you can see the fruits of your labour on DVD)
    If you didn't buy Vegas + DVD Architect, well you can choose a DVD authoring program other than DVDA if you want. I've only used DVDA (and Pinnacle Studio) for authoring so I don't feel qualified to comment on any I'm afraid. I'm sure someone else will help out.
    Tim

Default Oh Dear

So, are you saying that Sony Vegas Pro 8 that i bought, wont allow me to watch my holiday dvd on a dvd disc, so does that mean that i have lost all the work i have done and can only watch through pc?

Blog Entries

No, Vegas won't create a DVD, but no, you've not lost your work. You just need something that will convert and burn (or just burn) what you've created to a DVD (and if you want to get fancy, add menus, scene selections, subtitles etc etc) That's what a DVD authoring program is.

You render your file in Vegas (as you have done) either as an MPEG-2 (which is the format that DVDs use) OR as an avi and use that file as input to a DVD authoring program - you might even have a usable version of Nero or Roxio that came with your PC.

Hope you're not too disheartened.
    Tim

Default phew!!

So, Tim, all i have to do is get a hold of nero, is this software for HD as well, the reason i ask is that at the moment we dont have a blu ray player, we plan to get one soon, will the movie transfer direct onto blu ray from pro 8, or will i have to go through nero too, this all seems very confusing at the mo, well i am blonde

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kazandlee View Post
    well i am blonde
    Ah, that explains it
    Caroline, I'm honestly not being unhelpful - I genuinely don't know about other DVD authoring packages and so it would be incorrect for me to try to guide you towards a particular package. What I do know is that Sony DVD Architect v5 is available as a separate product (although it is common and better value to buy Vegas and DVDA together) and it purports to burn Blu-Ray as well as DVDs.
    Vegas Pro (ie the product you have) will burn Blu-Ray from the timeline so for HD you don't even need an authoring product.
    I'm sure you're aware, but just for the benefit of others reading this thread if you've recorded in standard definition, burning to Blu-Ray is not going to magically produce High Definition - it'll be just standard def played on an HD device (in fact this would be "worse" than watching a DVD though an upscaling DVD player)
    If you want to edit and you've got a consumer grade camera, Standard Def is a much better bet. But that's the subject of another debate which has been had many times on this and other forums.
    Tim