Thread: Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0 music video help (noob)

Unhappy Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0 music video help (noob)

Wassup everybody.

I've been working with Windows Movie Maker for about a year now (yeah i know, lame) so I wouldn't say I'm a total noob at making videos.

Just got this program...
    figured it would be easier to edit my videos since it has layers.

But damn, I was wrong....

Well it's not that confusing, I have troube doin the basic ish.

I'm into producing a music video type video, & I'm wondering is there any easier way to put the clips I want together??
    Instead of dropping each long clip & cutting it to fit the soundtrack.

Tips & shortcuts are all welcomed.

1 more thing, I need help finding "fade to white" type of deal.
    Help me out if you can pros.. thanks.

Here's a few of my edited videos on youtube, music video type ish...
    All were done on movie maker.

My most complex video made on movie maker using more different camera angles & clips.

-izz0-
    Last edited by izz0artistry; 09-25-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by izz0artistry View Post
    I've been working with Windows Movie Maker for about a year now (yeah i know, lame)
    Not at all. It's as good an entry as anything. Better than spending 1500 on an Adobe suite and then deciding you don't really get on with video editing.

Just got this program...
    figured it would be easier to edit my videos since it has layers.

But damn, I was wrong....
    Yes and no. VMSP has more features (eg layers) therefore there is more to learn. Once you've learned the required skills some aspects of putting your video together will be easier and you'll be able to do many things that you cannot do in WMM.

Additionally, you've had a year of learning WMM and how long learning VMSP?

I'm into producing a music video type video, & I'm wondering is there any easier way to put the clips I want together??
    Instead of dropping each long clip & cutting it to fit the soundtrack.
    Forgive me but isn't that what video editing is? I'm struggling here to see how you could make it easier - can you perhaps explain the workflow you would like to have?

It occurs to me that Pinnacle Studio, and probably others, have (had?) a "generate music video" facility whereby you stick a load of clips on the timeline, add a music track select from a variety of options and it will automatically generate a video cut to the music. It worked surprisingly well and was a very quick way of producing montage shots to a favourite piece of music.

If that's the sort of thing you want then I'm afraid Vegas is not your tool.

But then that's not really what I'd call video editing. To me video editing (or, at least the mechanical side) is all about puting clips on the timeline exactly where you want them for the length you want, applying the right colour correction and effects etc etc etc. In other words having comlete control over what you're doing.

BTW you don't have to trim your clips on the timeline. You can open a clip in the trimmer, select the bit you want on the timeline and then add that. Look up "trimmer" in help.

1 more thing, I need help finding "fade to white" type of deal.
    Help me out if you can pros.. thanks.
    A few ways are available - here's a couple.
    1. Create a generated media white solid colour and place it after the clip you want to fade to white. Ensure the Automatic Crossfade button (Ctrl-Shift-X) is on and drag the white into your clip. This will create a transition (default = fade) into white.
    2. Go to the track header of your clip (the area to the far left of the timeline with the track number, some icons and a slider), or any part of that track which is NOT occupied by a clip. Right-click, select Add/Remove Envelopes and select Fade to colour. You will now see a line along the middle of your track. Double click on that line where you want the fade to begin. This will create a "node" on the line. Now double click on the line at the end of the clip and drag the line right upto the top of the track. Job done.

Note with option 2, if you drag the line down it will fade to Black. Black and White are just the default colours. You can right click on the track header, select "fade Colours" and set them to whatever you want.

Again, this shows that Vegas has an awful lot to it - that's why it will take a long time to learn. There are people on this forum who use it day in day out and have done so for many years who STILL discover new things in the pro version.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 09-25-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Not at all. It's as good an entry as anything. Better than spending 1500 on an Adobe suite and then deciding you don't really get on with video editing.

I wanted more options to work with, but I see what you're saying.

Yes and no. VMSP has more features (eg layers) therefore there is more to learn. Once you've learned the required skills some aspects of putting your video together will be easier and you'll be able to do many things that you cannot do in WMM.

Additionally, you've had a year of learning WMM and how long learning VMSP?
    [quote=TimStannard;95323]

With VMSP I've only had a few days, I've learned alot using the "show me how" option.

Forgive me but isn't that what video editing is? I'm struggling here to see how you could make it easier - can you perhaps explain the workflow you would like to have
    ?

To me I thought editing on VMSP would be like on a music recording editing program where the layers would overlap, but it would still play eveything where the play bar hits. (not sure what the technical term for that is, but bare with me)

Basically the video I'm working on, I have over half a dozen clips with the same song playing, but with different angles & bg settings. I was thinking I'd be able to line them all up in the 6 differnt layers & cut each part out to put the clips I want on one final layer.

I've tried doing that, but it won't let me put more then 3 video clips on different bars.

It occurs to me that Pinnacle Studio, and probably others, have (had?) a "generate music video" facility whereby you stick a load of clips on the timeline, add a music track select from a variety of options and it will automatically generate a video cut to the music. It worked surprisingly well and was a very quick way of producing montage shots to a favourite piece of music

That also a good option to doing it, but not it's what I want.

If that's the sort of thing you want then I'm afraid Vegas is not your tool.

But then that's not really what I'd call video editing. To me video editing (or, at least the mechanical side) is all about puting clips on the timeline exactly where you want them for the length you want, applying the right colour correction and effects etc etc etc. In other words having comlete control over what you're doing.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do.

BTW you don't have to trim your clips on the timeline. You can open a clip in the trimmer, select the bit you want on the timeline and then add that. Look up "trimmer" in help.

Thanks Tim.

A few ways are available - here's a couple.
    1. Create a generated media white solid colour and place it after the clip you want to fade to white. Ensure the Automatic Crossfade button (Ctrl-Shift-X) is on and drag the white into your clip. This will create a transition (default = fade) into white.
    2. Go to the track header of your clip (the area to the far left of the timeline with the track number, some icons and a slider), or any part of that track which is NOT occupied by a clip. Right-click, select Add/Remove Envelopes and select Fade to colour. You will now see a line along the middle of your track. Double click on that line where you want the fade to begin. This will create a "node" on the line. Now double click on the line at the end of the clip and drag the line right upto the top of the track. Job done.

Note with option 2, if you drag the line down it will fade to Black. Black and White are just the default colours. You can right click on the track header, select "fade Colours" and set them to whatever you want.

Again, this shows that Vegas has an awful lot to it - that's why it will take a long time to learn. There are people on this forum who use it day in day out and have done so for many years who STILL discover new things in the pro version.

Thanks for the help & info, I will get to it right now.
    Much appreciated =)
    Last edited by izz0artistry; 09-25-2008 at 09:49 AM.

Mabe i just need a bit more time by myself to really figure out how VMSP works... hmm.. thanks for your insight though, It's gladly appreciated.

Blog Entries

To me I thought editing on VMSP would be like on a music recording editing program where the layers would overlap, but it would still play eveything where the play bar hits. (not sure what the technical term for that is, but bare with me)

Basically the video I'm working on, I have over half a dozen clips with the same song playing, but with different angles & bg settings. I was thinking I'd be able to line them all up in the 6 differnt layers & cut each part out to put the clips I want on one final layer.

I've tried doing that, but it won't let me put more then 3 video clips on different bars.
    Basically your principle is right. And, as I'm sure you have seen by now, the clips on the higher tracks take precidence. (Unlike sound mixing where if track 1 has guitar and track 2 has bass, both can be heard, in video editing, if track 1 has a close up and track two has a wide shot you will only see the close up - unless you lower the opacity or use other effects, but thats a different story)

Movie Studio is limited to FOUR video and FOUR music tracks. The pro version is limited only by our computer's capacity. To my knowledge all the consumer level versions of editing progs have limited tracks.

The Pro version also has a multi cam facility whre you can show (in your case) all 6 tracks in the preview window and switch between them on the fly.

BTW Izzy, I like the composition & quality of your shots. I'm not sure about the changing aspect ratios, but I guess that's your directorial decision.
    Tim

Basically your principle is right. And, as I'm sure you have seen by now, the clips on the higher tracks take precidence. (Unlike sound mixing where if track 1 has guitar and track 2 has bass, both can be heard, in video editing, if track 1 has a close up and track two has a wide shot you will only see the close up - unless you lower the opacity or use other effects, but thats a different story)

Movie Studio is limited to FOUR video and FOUR music tracks. The pro version is limited only by our computer's capacity. To my knowledge all the consumer level versions of editing progs have limited tracks.

The Pro version also has a multi cam facility whre you can show (in your case) all 6 tracks in the preview window and switch between them on the fly.

BTW Izzy, I like the composition & quality of your shots. I'm not sure about the changing aspect ratios, but I guess that's your directorial decision.
    Ok, now I better understand how it works now....
    So if I have 4 videos clips in different layers stacked up, the one on top would be the primary video on display.... I got it... I see... haha I just experimented it right now.

Thanks for the compliment Tim, as for the changing aspect ratios, thats still a large portion that needs to be worked on.

Oh btw, the names izz0 with an "O" not "Y"

Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Oh btw, the names izz0 with an "O" not "Y"
    Oops, sorry. And my name's Tim with an "m" not a "t"
    Tim