Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video editing card or dual processor

Default Video editing card or dual processor

Just want to know if anybody knows what is the best option: Buying a new video editing card (like Matrox) or upgrading my Pc to a dual processor.

I want to have better performance in my Premiere's renders, and of course, I can't afford both new card & dual processor.

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

Personally, I wouldn't buy a card. Why? When the next generation of software comes along, it's not guarenteed to be supported. It also won't improve general, overall performance. Then there's the horry stories of proprietry codecs.

If you regulary update, use the PC solely for editing and have money to burn, get a card. I spend all my budget on non-specific hardware.

Just my opinion. Others with cards will tell you different.

Dual processors will help, as will more memory if it's specifically rendering you are looking at. Now, I am not an expert on Premiere but I think it only does CPU rendering. I don't think it does GPU renders (I'm sure Marc, Millsy, and everyone else will soon let me know if that's an incorrect assumption). However, based on my assumption an upgrade to your graphics card would probably be money down the kazzie.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

Graphics card will add nadda (well, it will help in so far as a dedicated card would free up RAM). I was talking about an editing card such as an RT.X100. Millsy will argue it's a god send. I will argue that they're more trouble than they're worth.

But as I don't have one, I would say that

OK, not going to get into this 'is it worth the money' argument. I do have a Matrox RTX100 and love it.

My 2p though on the original question. If you simply want to reduce render time then adding another processor will reduce it I have little doubt.

There are certian limits but my RTX100 reduces render time down to bugger all!!!!!! i.e. no rendering necessary at all.

But I will say this though. Through my RTX100 I can perform realtime MPEG2 encoding and export multi version of the same project in realtime at the same time. i.e. 5 x WMV at different resolutions all in real time.

But if you're looking to upgrade your PC in general then get the extra processor.

Oh, and you need the right h/w to plug an RTX100 in. The damn thing even needs to be in just the right PCI slot too!!!! It's the sort of thing you should by in a purpose built editign rig. Ther eare lots of horror stories about compatibility. But then again, only the bad stories are posted aren't they?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Don't know yet what will I do.

well there are three upgrade paths here, i reckon.

1) get the editing card. I'd probably get this after i'd upgraded other aspects of my machine, or if i ONLY used the machine for editing.

2) go dual processor. This will speed up your pc a lot, but only on apps that support it, or while multitasking.

3) go athlon 64. This is what i'd do. Get the meatiest athlon 64 and as much memory as you can afford for your budget. This will be faster in all applications than your current machine (much faster, most likely) and when we start getting 64-bit versions of these apps, you'll be laughing. Head over to tomshardware or anandtech to take a look, they'll probably have benchmarked an a64 solution against a dual processor setup.

Blog Entries

What are ur current specs?
    2.6b at 3.3
    1 gig of OCZ Platinum Limited Edition PC3200(2-2-2)
    Abit IC7
    Seagate 80gb sata
    Aspire X-Alien
    460W Enermax
    9800 Pro
    SP-94 with Tornado

Panasonic GS200 on its way with:
    3 DV Tapes, Tripod, Bag, Telephoto Lens, Lens Cleaning Kit

Hi,
    I had a Canopus Raptor in my machine then upgraded to Premiere Pro. Everything went wrong, crash, crash, crash. Took the card out and hey presto all is well with the world again. Cant think of a single reason to use a card whilst I am on an OAP pension. Only if the lottery numbers come up would I consider a card.
    2.8 Gig processor, 80 g and 120 g HDD, 1 G ram. Premiere Pro 1.5 No Capture Card. Direct capture via fire wire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast