Thread: Video Format

Default Video Format

Hi, i was wondering if someone with a greater knowledge in this subject than me could help.

I have a video file taken on a sony erisson phone that i would like to drop into a video editor to play with. iMovie or windows move maker (don't laugh) wont take it
    its a .mp4 file it plays in my iphone and windows media player but vlc crashes when i try with that and VirtualDub says its an unknown file or format.

So i was wondering what you would use to either convert it or edit ( i only want to add some pictures, music, text and rotate the video)

Thanks in advance for any help (or attempt) Ash

Western Europe

I have been using MPEG StreamClip 1.2 recently and got good results from it after wanting to take vob files off dvd's. It has very basic editing, you can just do trimming but it seems to be very good when it comes to converting files from one format to another. I also downloaded QuicktimeAlt181 which you need to install first as it has codecs that MPEG StreamClip 1.2 needs to run properly. You then run MPEG StreamClip 1.2 and then click on either File->Open Files or Open DVD.

After you have the file in the program you can then go to File and select either Export to Quicktime, DV, AVI, MPEG4 or other Formats. I tend to stick to avi and mpeg4, the avi uses Apple DV encoder and works well with Adobe Prem Pro 2 and once you get it in there you can work away with it as much as you like. If I want to put something on Youtube straight away then I select MPEG4.