Thread: Best way forward?

Default Best way forward?

I'm transferring old VHS home movies to DVD. As Premiere doesn't support analog capture, I'm using Video Studio 6.0SE. However, Premiere will give me better control of the finished article, and I also prefer Encore for authoring, so I'm wondering whether to just capture in Video Studio, then edit and author the resulting files in Premiere/Encore? Does that sound like a plan? I already have doubts about image quality (see other thread) so I want to minimise the further loss that results from changing video formats. My sense is that a) MPEG is Video Studio's 'natural' format, b) that Premiere will only do its best with .avi files, and that c) converting from MPEG to .avi will result in image quality loss. Alternatively, I think I can capture in .avi using Video Studio. Does anyone have any thoughts as to my best way forward? It's not out of the question that I'll let the whole project stay in the Video Studio world, trading an upside in image quality for a downside in edit precision and authoring. Cheers, Ian.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Connect your VHS VCR to the analogue-in ports on your camcorder (assuming you have analogue in), then connect your camcorder's firewire port to your pc and capture that way. This way you will convert your VHS material to DV (therefore never lose resolution again on subsequent DV transfers) and be able to get it into Premiere.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Lloyd: good thought, but - no analog in on my camcorder... :cry: (It's a ~5 year old Panasonic).
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

Then the only other way I would entertain is to purchase an AV/DV convertor. The other ways will just result in too much loss of resolution to an already poor resolution format. You will need something like a DAC 100. I think they retail around the 150 mark. Take a look at DVC (link in the navigation panel on the left).
    Lloyd

Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

If you send me a copy of the tape(s), together with some DV tape(s), I can transfer this for you.

LLoyd, thanks. In fact, that's what the Belkin thingy is supposed to do - you put analog video in one end and a Philips SAA7113H chip in the Belking thingy does the conversion before passing it on to the USB port (see http://www.laaudiofile.com/usbdvd.html). Yes, I know, I'm trying to do this on the cheap: a more powerful solution would almost certainly give me better quality.

Marc: that's a very, very kind offer. However, as the family's videos run to 10s of cassettes with goodness knows how many hours of mind-numbing stuff on them, it would be a labour of Herculean proportions - so I'll decline.

I was thinking about this last night. Lloyd suggested running the VCR through the analog port of a digital camcorder - but mine doesn't have one. Then I started thinking about the camcorder I'm planning to get my daughter for her 18th - you see where I'm going with this? But then I thought: how is what the camcorder would do different to what the Belkin thingy does? At the end of the day, there must be a chip in the camcorder similar to the one in the Belkin that takes analog in and sends digital out - and given that it's likely just a chip, rather than an entire printed circuit board, why would the outgoing quality be better than I'm achieving with the Belkin thingy? Cheers, Ian.

I can't comment on the Belkin thing as I know nothing of it. However, if it's an AV/DC convertor then it should be just as good as any other.
    Lloyd

OK, thanks Lloyd. Cheers, Ian.