Thread: Kuwait bans YouTube

Default Kuwait bans YouTube

I damn near choked on my coffee early this morning when I saw this headline in the online Kuwait Times: Kuwait Bans YouTube

Normally, when I hear about China, Pakistan or some other country pulling this stunt I laugh about it because of the stupidity of such foolishness. However, for the past couple of years I have been working in Kuwait and I'm not laughing this morning. As of the time of posting this morning I still have YouTube access through my local ISP. But I am royally pissed that this so-called western leaning Arab "democracy" is even entertaining the thought.

Although I am a American and appreciate my freedoms, I am a "guest" in this country and there is not a damned thing I can do about this other than exercise my right to free speech and denounce it. But I have to do that on the Internet and on a website that is not yet banned.

Of course, the Kuwait Ministry of Communication's intentions are honorable in imposing such bans. God forbid that little Abdul should surf to the Veronica's Secret website and catch a glimpse of a size zero model in skimpy pink undergarments (he might go blind or grow hair in the palm of his hand). And God forbid that little Abdul might view a video of some "infidel" exercising his right to free speech by poking fun at the Islamic religion, and realizing that there are billions of other people living on this planet who can take a joke. God forbid that little Abdul be allowed to think for himself. He may become enlightened, and that could be dangerous.

If the ban on YouTube is actually imposed in Kuwait, it won't last too long. There are just too many other "non-Islamic" things on YouTube that the majority of those westerner wanabees here want access to. Someone with enough "wasta" will take care of the issue (enchala).
    Last edited by worddigger; 09-22-2008 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Political Correctness - smile

Default False Alarm!

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    I damn near choked on my coffee early this morning when I saw this headline in the online Kuwait Times: Kuwait Bans YouTube
    Yesterday I asked a friend and associate who works in the Public Affairs Office at our Embassy in Kuwait City to look into this story. It appears that the published story in the Kuwait Times was bogas and was little more than a rummer that had been elevated to a fact by the virtue of the source's position. Shame on me for putting too much trust in the integrity of that particular news organization. My apologies to the forum.

Blog Entries

All's well that ends well (whatever that means!)

Blog Entries

Pleased to hear it was a spoof - however it's the self censorship by you tube that worries me and thier pre empting of gov whineing.

The tube recently pulled lots of knofe nad gun vids I think - but ONLY for uk audiences.

FFS - are we english not to be trusted with growd up videos??? Do you tube donate to the labour party????

Worrying.

Youtube like Mac are expert at marketing, they pull off all sorts of media stunts to grab a headline, and it works.

A while back Thailand banned the service for a period of time over sensitive video related to their royal famly, as I still see it China still has no youtube, all surrounding countries seem to be youtubers. I can't pull any views from the Chinese mainland, all surrounding countries are fine.

Any thoughts on China and youtube, will it ever happen..?

The Mad Bomber.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo