Thread: No headphone socket on 600 camera???

Default No headphone socket on 600 camera???

I recently purchased a JVC Everio GZ-HD3EK camcorder which I must say is very good so far. However, I cannot believe there is no headphone socket so I can monitor sound during interviews.

I am using external wireless mics with the camera, so its essential I monitor the sound. Even my VHS camera I had in 1988 had a headphone socket!!

Am I just being very stupid?

Paul

Blog Entries

The utility of a camera is in inverse proportion to the number of stickers on the camera.

It does appear that many new models lack a h phone socket, and a mic socket, and Xlrs, and zebras...

I guess the thing is that cameras such as this are aimed at the consumer market, and not many non auteur camera buyers will really ever do much with thier camera.

"The utility of a camera is in inverse proportion to the number of stickers on the camera." I must look out for that the next time I'm skulking around Jessops, thanks Mark lol.

I always look very carefully at the spec on these things before I even go shopping for exactly these reasons.

For instance, I like a viewfinder so I can see stuff in very bright sunlight, but that is another feature consumer cams are doing away with. Clearly the designers never thought anyone would actually use a cam somewhere like oh, the Great Pyramids or the Barrier Reef where it tends to be BLOODY SUNNY. Sunlight Viewable display... Yeh right!

So even before I had my shortlist of cams I had Viewfinder, Mic input, H/Phone Output and Zebra exposure stripes in my tick-list and took it from there.

Blog Entries

The whole no view finder ting rpove sto me that the marketing men fulkly expect these cameras never to get used - and of course in a few years there will be a fantastic new feature, with it's own sticker... ' new shoot in the sun veiwfinder feature ' - but it will be called Digital SITSV - thatll sell for sure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    ' new shoot in the sun veiwfinder feature ' - but it will be called Digital SITSV - thatll sell for sure.
    Unfortunately you can't patent the diesign of this feature, Mark, but I'm pretty certain you CAN register "SITSV" and "Digital Shoot in the sun" as trademarks, so even if others catch on and sell the same technology, at least they'll market it as "using the same technology as Mark Watson's SITSV - as used by Brett Haircut and Zaskar Films"
    Tim