Thread: Exporting WMV in Prem/AE

1. Default Exporting WMV in Prem/AE

Hello Forum

I am having issues exporting good WMV from After Effects for a client.

The project is a 2 minute video 1024 x 768 pixels to be used in a powerpoint presentation. Ofcourse I cannot use Premiere Pro to export a WMV as there is no way of importing that resolution into it.

When I try exporting from After Effects 6.5, the options seem very restrictive - the Presets only go up to just over 1000kbps which is too small for the client and seems to blocky - especially if projected onto a wall. When I choose "custom", there seems to be no way of selecting the kbps or any other quality settings, and only gives the option VBR or CBR which aboth still leaves a blocky image. To me it isn't too bad, but for the client, they seem to want as sharp and good an image as possible. Am I missing something in AE to get more control over the export? Exporting to MPEG2 allows for lots of quality control sliders etc, but they are missing in WMV export options. The only other possibilty I see is "Uncompressed" but this seems to leave a 6GB file!!!

I have tried using a piece of software known as WM Converter to convert a .mov created from AE, with better results and more quality contol settings, yet even at the highest, I seem to be getting a small amount of stutter at certain points of the exported playback that the client doesn't like.

Any help would be appreciated.

James

Quote Originally Posted by jamesuk1981 View Post
    Hello Forum

I am having issues exporting good WMV from After Effects for a client.

The project is a 2 minute video 1024 x 768 pixels to be used in a powerpoint presentation. Ofcourse I cannot use Premiere Pro to export a WMV as there is no way of importing that resolution into it.
    I respectfully beg to differ!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesuk1981 View Post
    When I try exporting from After Effects 6.5, the options seem very restrictive - the Presets only go up to just over 1000kbps which is too small for the client and seems to blocky - especially if projected onto a wall. When I choose "custom", there seems to be no way of selecting the kbps or any other quality settings, and only gives the option VBR or CBR which aboth still leaves a blocky image. To me it isn't too bad, but for the client, they seem to want as sharp and good an image as possible. Am I missing something in AE to get more control over the export? Exporting to MPEG2 allows for lots of quality control sliders etc, but they are missing in WMV export options. The only other possibilty I see is "Uncompressed" but this seems to leave a 6GB file!!!

I have tried using a piece of software known as WM Converter to convert a .mov created from AE, with better results and more quality contol settings, yet even at the highest, I seem to be getting a small amount of stutter at certain points of the exported playback that the client doesn't like.

Any help would be appreciated.

James
    Not sure about AE 6.5 but I'm using v7 (until I can get my grubby paws on CS4!!) and during wmv export you have the option to specify any wmv resolution to 'stretch' your video out to. I tend to use this to compensate for non-square pixels all the time.

In v7 I have a dialog box sitting under a button labelled 'Format Options...' and in there I can specify the data rate I want.

not sure if this helps but it's all I can offer right now.