Thread: Editing existing DVD

Default Editing existing DVD

G'day all,

Using a Sony Hi-8 camcorder I have some family video that I have managed to get on to DVD via a DVD recorder (VHS combo). The problem is that the recorder puts it's own default menu system in, now this looks crappy and I want to change it.

So, any advice on what software would be best to capture from a DVD disk and then be able to edit/create menus and chapters etc? Obviously, the cheaper the better. You can tell by my video creation process that I'm not flushed with money...

Thanks for any help, it will be much appreciated!

Western Europe

I have been using MPEG StreamClip 1.2 recently and got good results from it after wanting to take vob files off dvd's. It has very basic editing, you can just do trimming but it seems to be very good when it comes to converting files from one format to another. I also downloaded QuicktimeAlt181 which you need to install first as it has codecs that MPEG StreamClip 1.2 needs to run properly. You then run MPEG StreamClip 1.2 and then click on either File->Open Files or Open DVD.

After you have the file in the program you can then go to File and select either Export to Quicktime, DV, AVI, MPEG4 or other Formats. I tend to stick to avi and mpeg4, the avi uses Apple DV encoder and works well with Adobe Prem Pro 2 and once you get it in there you can work away with it as much as you like. If I want to put something on Youtube straight away then I select MPEG4.

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a go and post the results.