Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two become One?

1. Default Two become One?

Hi guys (and girls)
    I've narrowed down two systems which fit roughly into my 850 budget and I'd really appreciate some advice as to which people might recommend for the best video editing performance using Sony Vegas 8, Cinescore.

In a nutshell the systems are:
    1) 880
    Intel quad core 2.4ghz processor
    2x2gb memory
    512MB Nvidia 9400 video card
    22 hdmi monitor
    150GB, 1000RPM Western Digital HD
    500Gb 7500 RPM SATA II HD

2) 844
    Intel quad core 2.8ghz processor
    2x2GB memory
    512MB Nvidia 9800 video card
    22 monitor
    500 GB 7500RPM SATA II HD

Basically, I suppose the systems are compromising processing power for HD space and speed but which would be best and does everyone agree that either of the two systems would be perfectly adequate for heavy Vegas 8 use?

Blog Entries

One - cos of the raptor and second drive.

Goldfinger you mean a 150GB, 10,000RPM Western Digital HD?

4. Default

Yeah, 10000RPM sorry

Sorry for picking up on that, it's just that if someone else read that they may have gone out looking to buy a 150GB, 1000RPM Western Digital HD and been unable to find it.

6. Default

No worries.

Well, I took the plunge and bought my system. In a nutshell I've gone for Intel quad core 2.8GHZ processor / 2GB Ram / 640GB (2x320GB) Raid 0 hard drives / 22" DVI monitor, NVidia GEforce 512MB graphics card with 32-bit Windows Vista plus the usual extras such as card reader / IEEE card etc

It all came in at just over 890 including VAT so not bad I didn't think!

Any comments on what I can expect from this system with regards to Sony Vegas editing gratefully received. I'll also let everyone know how it goes when it's up and running!

Sounds like a good deal, you should be able to get lots of editing done on that setup. To get more help with Sony Vegas you should start posting questions in the Sony Vegas and Media Studio section of the forum. Best of luck with your new system.

Similar-ish starting point to a system I'm thinking about changing to.

My question is, with a quad core why did you opt for only 2Gb Ram and 32bit Windows? Was the decision based on $$ or was there something else?

Also, where did you get it from. You can PM me if your not comfortable posting your vendor's name.

Blog Entries

Raid 0 ? ? ? ? No no no - see, the trouble with raid 0 is that if one - just one drive fails in the array you loose ALL data. Raid 0 may be up to 100% faster in certain situations but that performance margin is gained at a price.... the more drives you add the LESS secure the array.

I strongly suggest a back up drive if you use raid 0 - or ideally reconfig and raid 1 - which is supersafe but needs twice as many discs for same capacity.

RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where did you buy your system from & what monitor did you buy?
    Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
    No worries.

Well, I took the plunge and bought my system. In a nutshell I've gone for Intel quad core 2.8GHZ processor / 2GB Ram / 640GB (2x320GB) Raid 0 hard drives / 22" DVI monitor, NVidia GEforce 512MB graphics card with 32-bit Windows Vista plus the usual extras such as card reader / IEEE card etc

It all came in at just over 890 including VAT so not bad I didn't think!

Any comments on what I can expect from this system with regards to Sony Vegas editing gratefully received. I'll also let everyone know how it goes when it's up and running!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast