Thread: Sports events - Selling CD/DVDs on the day - possible?

Default Sports events - Selling CD/DVDs on the day - possible?

Hi all

Just joined the forum to have a browse on the latest developments in the video world. I'm an established equestrian event photographer and a few years ago I covered a few indoor events with video (originally because of the light levels being too low for good stills). I didn't do too many because of the
    editing taking sooo long after the event. Transfer tape to disk (up to 8 hours of it), edit individual competitors (some/most not wanting it), burn each entry to dvd, post to customer etc. etc. too much work for so little profit.

However, I still keep being drawn back to wanting to do video again as an extra service but I really need to know if there is another way to do it? With still photographs, selling them on the day is crucial to getting the sales. I'm thinking it would be the same with video but how could it be done? The only way I've thought so far would be to use one of those cameras that write directly to DVD disk. Take out the disk & sell it to the customer. But, I've only seen this format on low cost consumer cameras so the quality wouldn't be as good and I probably wouldn't get the price to make it worth while.

I've been thinking about being able to record straight to my laptop but not sure if any of the latest software can do this. Alternatively, getting another camera or two and having them in fixed positions and doing a live mix in my van using a mixing desk of some sort (used to have one in my S-VHS days).
    I also seen some 'field recorders' which apparently can capture direct to disk but I can't see a way round being able to write the DVD and still capture the next competitor (unless I buy two?).

Any ideas anyone????

Blog Entries

I would use the PlanesTV model, which is, record the event, sign up customers at a desk who want the DVD and post it out later. Trying to do the video on spec means almost certainly that production values will suffer and when that happens - you'll never sell another one again.

PlanesTV go to most major airshows in the UK, record all day, produce a DVD of the whole event, (reasonably well produced) and post out the discs anything up to a couple of months later. I think they take far too long to deliver (I'm still waiting for a show that was filmed at the end of July), but they're the only people doing it on that scale so an aviation fan has no other choice than film it for themselves.

I'd like to think this would be possible.... I doubt that one person could pull it off though. I'd think you'd need a camera operator plus an editor/dvd authoring guy.

As for how to do it, I'd look at the cameras that record the video to sd cards (I think you can get these upto something like 16gb now). Get a few of these (cards, not cameras!), film each competitor to a different card and bob's your uncle. Then if you've got a couple of laptops or something you could do a quick edit on the day. Sure the production quality would be lower than if you had weeks but I'd say that it's definately possible.

You are basically talking about an OB production with a number of cameras, some manned and some not. All feeding into a central point and being edited as soon as is humanly possible. That would require investment and put you and whoever was involved under considerable pressure on the day. You wouldn't be expected to do that at a wedding, where the couple have to give you at least two weeks for the finished product. Or is the equestrian world more demanding?

Andy
    The PlanesTV model would not work for this as everybody knows pretty much everybody. Only a few would buy - their friends would copy...

Thanks for the input though.

Nikosony

Oh yes! When I take their photos they want to see them NOW!!!

Weddings are premium products and there are several locations, outside church, inside, reception etc. Equestrian is all under one roof with riders following one after the other. Each to be recorded separately.

Thanks anyway...

Shane

I like that idea, forgot about flash cards for video and I'm already set up to download these.
    To take it a bit further, maybe I could find a device that I could plug into my existing camera that writes to sd/compact flash cards. The only ones I can think of at the moment write as MP4 format so not sure how the quality would suffer. I will have a look around. Otherwise it may have to be a new camera.

Many thanks for the idea...

We do a live shoot 3 times a week with as many as 6 cameras. All cameras feed into a production board and the board feeds into a computer and the feed is then recorded to a hard drive. The board allows the director to switch between cameras at will and utilize various transitions, cuts and dissolves.

After the production it is simply a matter of importing the already edited footage into Encore DVD, transcoding and burning the discs. In less than one hour after the show we have DVDs for sale
    http://muvipix.com Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Engels View Post
    We do a live shoot 3 times a week with as many as 6 cameras....
    Would love to see an example Chuck. Care to show a short clip?

Referring back to the original post, of course anything's possible with enough funding and people. Problem is, it sounds very much like he is a one man band.

I think a sensible solution for a sensible question are in order.