Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB 1.1 vs. 2.0

Default USB 1.1 vs. 2.0

I am using a digital video converter, the Avermedia EZ DVD Maker Pro, it has a hardware encoder, but the point is, that I am using USB 1.1. The audio is always out of sync. I think it might be that the audio must wait because the video is sent first, because the higher the quality video, the more out of sync. Would the problem be solved if I upgraded to USB 2.0

Yes that one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adamherb
    Would the problem be solved if I upgraded to USB 2.0
    Probably.

I tried to get a look to see if I could upgrade, and the wierd thing is, when I put my case back where I keep, it plugged all the cables in again. I accidently plugged the converter cable into one of the USB ports on the back, instead of the front of the case ones, and the problem is less of a deal. Any ideas why.

Not sure where to put this as it's more 'general help' although it may have some relevance to the original question. Last night, I was trying to get my VCR talking to my PC via a Belkin USB dongle thingy. All I could get were very blocky/highly pixellated images, and a maximum frame size of 160 x 120. Having tried everything else under the sun, I finally had one of those moments of inspiration. The Belkin USB dongle was attached to my PC via a USB extension cable. I unplugged it from the extension cable and plugged it direct into the machine and - hey presto - decent resolution, problem gone away. Note that the Belkin dongle and my PC both support USB 2.0. My assumption is that the extension cable was creating a major bottle neck in transfer rate from the VCR to the PC, either because it was downrating USB 2.0 performance to USB 1.1 performance, or because of a poor connection. I guess this is relevant to the original post only insofar as it must theoretically be possible that USB performance is, for some reason, better out of the ports on the back of the machine than those on the front. Interesting, though... Cheers, Ian.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

sorry i didn't answer sooner, but the spec of that capture device clearly states it needs usb2, so YEP! it'll fix your problem.

A pci card is less than a tenner, and if you've got a pc so old as to not have usb2, it'll not have firewire built in, so IF you've not bought a pci firewire card, it'd probably be worthwhile getting a card with both usb2 and firewire. It'll set you back 15-20 quid.

The wierd thing is though, when I plug it into a different port, the problem goes away, maybe there is something wrong with the controller, beacuse the other port on that controller just says device not recognized, even though if you plug it into the next port, windows sees it.

or maybe..ur back ports are usb2 and ur fronts are 1.1

wuts the make model of ur pc/mobo?
    2.6b at 3.3
    1 gig of OCZ Platinum Limited Edition PC3200(2-2-2)
    Abit IC7
    Seagate 80gb sata
    Aspire X-Alien
    460W Enermax
    9800 Pro
    SP-94 with Tornado

Panasonic GS200 on its way with:
    3 DV Tapes, Tripod, Bag, Telephoto Lens, Lens Cleaning Kit

I know for a fact that the ports on the back are not USB 2.0. They are 1.1. The computer was a custom made, by a small computer company in my area. It has:
    2.0 Ghz Pentium 4 Processor
    512 MB RAM
    Onboard Sound
    256 Nvidia Graphics
    80 GB Hard Drive

Thanks for responding!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast